This Disappears When Logged In

humidifier

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by TheGreenMan, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

is it possible to put a humidifier in a tank? if not then what is the best way to keep humidity around 80%. should i use a misting system? or a fogging system?

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

What kind of animal are you keeping and hows the set up?

3. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I have a humidifier in my Iguana cage, but it is rather large and there is shelving built around it to keep him away from it.

4. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

the humidifier is for a cwd. i dont have the encloser set up right now because i still need to buy it off my buddy. but its going to be 5 1/2 ft long and about 5 feet tall after i build a top for the tank. im just trying to get an idea on what i should use to keep the humidity up.

5. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

5' long and tall? I would go with a pond and water fall.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yeah, if its that big go for what rbl suggested. Shine a light on it and youll have your humidity level. Aslo you could add a misting system to it if you wanted. I think a normal house humidfier would be to noisey and bulky for what you want

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

In my experience, fogging systems look really great but they cool the air temperature FAR too much! We keep our GTPs humidity up well by misting with a hand sprayer once or sometimes twice a day.
    For a huge enclosure like that, the suggestions above are great (if a little hard to maintain/clean). A spot lamp and some circulating water should do the trick (That's what they have for the CWDs at our zoo.)
    Otherwise you can get misting systems that hook up to timers. But the foggers are counter-productive, IMO.

8. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

You could always hard plumb a humidifier's output into the cage.

9. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

how do i do that and what does that mean? (hard plumb)

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

basically run PVC piping from the humidifier (which will be outside the cage) into the cage itself thus eliminating any contact between the appliance and the animal. The warm fog from the outlet can then gently settle down into the enclosure.

11. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

i have a vicks warm humidifier in my iguana cage. nothing is built around it because it is too slippery for him to get on it and he doesn't show much interest in it. it keeps my humidity up and it helps with my temps.

12. Merlin

I have the same unit in my home.
    You really need to get that out of the enclosure! Both the mechanism on these as well as the vapor emerging from it is extremely hot!
    Sooner or later the ig will come in contact with it and you will be heading to the vet!

13. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

that sounds like something easy and efficent. how would i get the piping in the cage? or could i just put it across the top?

14. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

It would be best to put it inside the tank. Drilling a hole in the lid and attaching it there would probably be the easiest.
    There are three different types of humidifier's, vicks produces all three. There are warm mist and cool mist, which both basically evaporate water, the first through heating it up, the second through increasing circulation. The third type is ultrasonic which uses one of those little ultrasonic plates to evaporate the water into a mist.

15. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

does anyone set their tank up this way? if so what does it look like and how easy is it to set up? pics please

16. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

Merlin,
    i don't set it up that way anymore. i thought about him somehow getting on it and burning himself so i have a big screen box secured down around the vicks warm humidifier, it keeps spike away from the steam and from the unit itself. and gives him something more to climb on. just the top is screen to let the moisture and heat through. he doesn't show any interest in the humidifier any way so no problem there. i just put the box there for safety because i know that the humidifier right where it is coming out is extremely hot. but the rest of the steam is just warm because it is about 15 years old. my parents used to use it when we were sick so the heating element has been worn so it doesn't put out as much heat as a new one or a 1 or 2 year old one would. but i still put the box there for safety.

17. Merlin

Regardless whether or not he shows any interest in it or not, if something is in an iguana cage, it WILL eventually climb on it, or fall on it or lay on it!
    However if you can place your hand on the screen where the steam comes out and it doesn't burn you it should be fine.

18. tekknoschtev

tekknoschtev Member

I recently setup the ultrasonic humidifier I have for my Ig in her enclosure. It was a hasty move out of necessity. In moving her to her new enclosure (new house and everything) I completely forgot that the humidity in my parent's house was controlled with a humidifier in the winter. After waking during the night and being completely dry, I began to worry about my Ig. I hadn;t setup the hygrometer yet so I didn't know the exact humidity like I did back home. Fortunately, with the mistings and baths and water in her cage it wasnt terribly dry like the rest of the house but it wasnt ideal.

So in my haste, lacking the supplies to plumb the humidifer from the outside, I drilled a hole in her shelf and used one of the ratchet tie-downs from an automotive store (happened to have two brand new ones laying around, ironically), and used that to strap the thing down so that she couldn't knock it over.

[​IMG]

Its not ideal, and is being changed this weekend. I just have to build a shelf on the exterior of her enclosure to accomodate the humidifier. I already have the PVC for it. I will post pictures once I'm done.

19. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan Elite Member

how much does it cost for one of those? is that a warm mist humidifier? and where did you get it?

20. Merlin

That is a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier available at Wal Mart or drugstore. They are fine and produce a wonderful light fog. The only drawback is if you don't use distilled water and use tapwater, everything around it will end up with a coating of white dust from the minerals carried in the water. And that dust will get inside everything. It even got inside of my closed CD player!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.