This Disappears When Logged In

Humidifier Inside?

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by h20dragon2010, Sep 22, 2010.

1. h20dragon2010

h20dragon2010 Elite Member

I'm about to build a large enclosure and I want to help maintain the humidity. If I am going to use a humidifier, could I place it inside the enclosure? Or does it have to go just outside of the enclosure? I have never seen or used one so I'm not sure where it would be ideal to place it for it to be effective and not cause any harm to my lizards. Thanks.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, as long as its the cool mist kind, it can go right in the enclosure.

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

I use a cool mist humidifier inside during the summer and a warm mist outside (plumbed in through the wall of the enclosure) during the winter. The warm mist one makes the enclosure get too hot during the summer.

4. h20dragon2010

Thanks! That is good to know. Appreciate the help.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you need advise on how to fit it, just ask, it`s best if you have a wooden enclosure so you can put the humidifier outside, with a pipe for the mist to go through into the tank.

6. h20dragon2010

I'll have to take pictures to show you guys exactly what I am trying to do. It's harder to explain I think. I will try to do that in a bit. I have to take a couple of my girls to the vet so I will try and do it this evening. Then maybe you could tell me what would be best to do. I don't think there will be wood though. Well, not an entire enclosure made out of wood anyways. I'll be back in a bit.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I know someone who uses a warm mist humidifier inside her iguana cage. She got one of those decorative covers that look like a boulder and drilled holes in it and placed it over the humidifier so the hot steam can't come in contact with the iguana.

8. h20dragon2010

That sounds like a great idea. I think I'm gonna go look at some so I can see how big they are and how they work so I can figure out how I can make it work. I'll try and post pics of the space for the enclosure soon too.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I saw something that looked like that on a thread here
    http://www.herpcenter.com/green-iguanas/31063-iguanas-salt.html

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Exactly!
    Though the one I was thinking of was a different person.

11. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

So now I guess you know 2 people that do it.;):D

This is them in the cages!

Shorteyincage13months001.jpg

iggycage2.jpg

june09cages002-1.jpg

Can you see the old girl laying on top of it in the one picture?

I will say that I do not run mine 24/7. They are on timers and come on a couple of hours a day twice a day!

Attached Files:

12. h20dragon2010

Merlin- thanks so much for the suggestion!

mld- thanks for the link with the pics.

Lloydene- thanks for the pics! It was very helpful to see it set up. I did see her sleeping on the top of it in the second pic. Lol!

Where would I buy one of those fake rock things? If I keep the humidifier in my bathroom- where we are building the enclosure- would it keep the whole bathroom more humid? We are thinking of letting them have the whole bathroom for now until we get everything we need to close off half of it for the water dragons. I want to add again that it's a pretty decent sized bathroom not just a regular size one.

13. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I purchased mine at Menards, but just about any store such as that should have them, especially this time of year. If not in stock you gotta know that they can get them if you would request! The ones you see in my cages cost me around 20 dollars a piece. That was the middle sized one.

And as for this question "If I keep the humidifier in my bathroom- where we are building the enclosure- would it keep the whole bathroom more humid?" The answer is yes. Many people use the humidifiers in a room where the cage is open faced to provide the humidity and it works fine. The reason I have enclosed cages with the humidifiers in them is because of our winters and summers. Winters are cold, house is drafty and there is no way I can provide the constant warm temps that they need without it costing me more of an arm and leg than it is already costing me. Summers here are hot and way humid and beings I am older than dirt I can not take it, so the air is turned on and that causes a flucuation in temps also, so and I certainly don't want to add more humidity to the over all house so I try to contain it in the enclosed enclosures. People in warmer or more constant temps don't need to worry about providing the enclosed cages. Like I said the basking temps and over all ambient temps and humidity are the ultimate goal.

But I would not keep the bearded in there! Humidity is not something that should be of a high volume for them! They are more dry and arid temps!

Must indeed be one heck of a bathroom to be able to build a good sized enclosure in there?:D

14. h20dragon2010

Lloydene- thanks a ton for your help. It is a good size bathroom. We are going to remove the toilet and that half of the bathroom will be theirs. The garden tub is going to be their "pool." we will still have access to the double sinks and the standup shower. We don't use spray cleaners in there because they play in there. We use wipes and mr. clean magic erasers. We open the door and window to vent just in case and it seems to work well. I think I'm going to give them the whole bathroom for now until we get their cage all done. It'll probably take a few months. I think the only "wall" we have to do is the one that will divide their cage from the bathroom. Hmmm. I still have lots to do. Lol!

15. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Good luck to you on your project and be sure to let us take a peek when it is finished. Pictures speak a thousand words when trying to help a person.;)

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree LLoydene
    I can't wait to see the finished product also, I would also like to see to progress of the project, before and after pictures would be great too.
    Best of luck, hope all goes well, They are very lucky.

17. h20dragon2010

Thanks guys! I will post pics of the space as soon as I have a chance. I am a bit of a slacker when it comes to doing pictures. Lol! I'll try to post some soon though I promise. :)