This Disappears When Logged In

Humidifier Connected to Piping

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by kriminaal, Jan 17, 2012.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Every other day isn't bad for fillups in an area that large. I find it odd as well that a cool mist would create mold whereas a warm one wouldn't.

2. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

I was using the Walgreens personal one and had problems with mold growing in the PVC. I used a fitting from Home Depot that fit perfectly in the outlet and 1" PVC. I had in sitting on top of the enclosures.

3. kriminaal

That is an issue with which I'd like to prevent.
    Does your have any horizontal pipe where the moisture could sit?

4. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Yeah it had about 6" of vertical to 6" of horizontal and than about 18" of vertical down into the enclosure. The mold was mostly in the horizontal area, so if you could keep from having to place any pipe horizontally you may be able to prevent the mold. Another way is to use pipe cleaner and clean out the pipe every week or so, this is what I ended up doing to keep the mold at bay.

5. kriminaal

That puts a hold on my idea to have a horizontal pipe across the top with holes to let the humidity out across the entire length.
    I'll be able to run it straight up through the floor. Might as well keep it simple.

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I also made a fogger out of a personal humidifier. It ran for a few months then stopped working. Mine had a 1" to 1 1/2" adapter connected to a 1" pvc pipe. This pipe was vertical. It connected to a horizontal pipe. Two corner joints connected to this horizontal piece and directed the fog into the tank. I am not totally sure why it stopped working, however, I'm betting it's because I moved the unit with water in the base. I think I burned out the motor. I was unable to tell whether or not condensation was dripping back into the base, but I never saw any clues it might be. Nothing ever dripped. I never had problems with mold though :) and it only took about $25 to make.

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Mines the same as Aja's and it runs nightly with no dripping and no mold. I do dry out my pipe daily but theres really no Need to

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

His whole house (except for the windows of course) is made from 1x2 frames supporting water resistant showerboard. I don't know why, but the cool mist one just got NASTY really fast. The outlet would get black mold all over it and the areas above and around it would get black and moldy. I have no idea why it did or why I don't have mold problems with the warm mist one, but I don't.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, thanks for the explanation. I have noticed if I don`t clean the pipe regularly it does start to get mold, perhaps you didn`t do that as much as was needed? Maybe the warm air doesn`t get it because of the heat of the steam as it comes into the pipe?
    I`ve never had any problems at all with mold in the enclosure itself, even close to where there`s a build-up of water, though I do use a shallow tray at the side, which catches most of the excess.
    EDIT: Just out of interest, what wattage is your warm air?

10. Rickenbackerman

Actually I just put the cool mist humidifier that I tried right inside his house. The warm air is the only one I've used the piping with. It's a 325 watt job, but low wasn't enough and high was way too much, so I wired a rheostat into the power cord so I can adjust the output to exactly where I want it. It runs off a humidistat that turns the power on and off as well BTW.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The vapor exiting a hot air vaporizor is HOT! It will burn the dickens out of you! I suspect that it is sterilizing the pipe.
    While the cool air vaporizer does not. SOmething you might try is to put a ittle regular unscented bleach in the vaproizor water. 2-3 drops per quart. Its an old trick for purifying drinking water that is suspect.

12. Rickenbackerman

I thought about that, too. Even at the outlet (which is about two feet away from the humidifier), the steam is still pretty hot. Not quite hot enough to burn you (or the lizard), but still pretty hot...

13. kriminaal

I can maintain 60 percent humidity for a few days without a humidifier in my smaller monitor enclosures.
    But suspect the 5 footer I'm making won't be as easy.
    I think I have a good grasp now what will work. Just have to be on the outlook for a cool mist one to come on sale.
    I seen a Reptifogger in operation in a petstore. It was on a mesh top varanus beccari enclosure. YEAH I said mesh top.
    I know, I know.
    I'll hook one up and make my own. I don't really want a warm mist.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Idk if the walgreens one i use is cool mist or hot but i do no i dont feel and heat from the mist so im gonna guess its cool. Its only cost me $25 rather than the repti one thats $60 and breaks

15. kriminaal

We don't have a Walgreens up here. I'll have to check at Walmart next time I'm in the city.
    I've seen an animal one (elephant) online that has a handy spot to hook up on the trunk.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike, I get mine from either Amazon (new or second hand), or ebay (the same)..