This Disappears When Logged In

Humidifier Connected to Piping

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by kriminaal, Jan 17, 2012.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm wondering who uses a humidifier and has it hooked up to pipe it into an enclosure.
    Asking as I'm looking to hook one up and would like to know any issues you've experienced or advice.
    I'm curious as to how big a unit I'll need to push it through the pipe?
    Some from what I've read need to be above and pipe it down, such as the Reptifogger.

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

3. kriminaal

Okay yes that's what I said I was going to do.
    I'm asking as to what issues people whom have done this have had.
    I've heard some of them will shut off from condensation running back into the unit if the humidifier is below the enclosure.

4. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I have not had that issue and i run it over night. I only had that k
    Issue when i tryed to use some thin tubing but once i did the pvc its fine. Its 1.5 inch so you wont stop it up. Aja has the same set up and she hasnt said any issuez either.

5. kriminaal

What about mold buildup where you have it taped to the unit?

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Its not taped. We filed the pvc down to somewhat fit on top of the humidifier where it fogs a and sealing to the machine with silacone. Heres a picture of the stuff. Every day i wipe the water left on the screen where the pipe touches and wipe out the pvc. Not had any mold.

Attached Files:

7. kriminaal

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at using one for a 5 x 2 x 3 enclosure.
    So I'm thinking of the style you have and wondering if I'll be able to modify the water reservoir to hook up something larger.
    Is there an auto shut-off when it runs out of water? Or anything where the bottle sits in that triggers it to start?

8. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

It says it shuts off when it runs out of water. I havent had it run out so i cant say for sure but thats what the box says. I dont know if it has to do with where the bottle is or not. Aja is the one who told me how to make it and might be able to offer more help you should msg her. I was just looking for a cheaper wau to do the humidity in my frog tank witgout paying $60 for the repifogger that breaks every six months from what i read on reviews

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike, I used a household humidifier for many years, never had any real problems, except the warm-air type can be very expensive to run (mine was 400w), the cool air are around 35w, very economical, anything between approx 3 to 5 litres is good, they run most of the day continuously, or you can put on a timer , 10 to 15mins every hour.
    EDIT: Yes, they cut off when empty.

10. kriminaal

Interesting, I wasn't aware the warm air ones were so hard on hydro. That's a big difference.
    Stefan do you have the humidifier below the enclosure?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It sits under the tank, just next to the plastic dog baths of substrate, but you could fit it at the same level at the side, or behind/in front of the enclosure. I modified the outlet so I could fix the tube in (5/8inch rubber tube from an external filter), which can be bought from most aquarists (just the tube).
    As I said, the warm air are VERY expensive to run, though they are excellent at keeping the humidity up in a relatively large tank. You`d be better with the cool-air, they uaually come in between 2.5 to 5 ltrs capacity..
    Give me 5 mins, I`ll put a couple of photos up of how the pipe fits into the top of the humidifier, though they all differ slightly in construction...

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Here`s a small cool air, showing the top and how the tube fits, the large warm air had a much wider "mesh" type steam outlet, so I glued/taped a piece of plastic to the top to cover most of it, then simply cut a hole where the (larger diam.) tube sat (I glued it instead of pushing it through because of the "vent" construction).
    These photo`s are still coming out small?

Attached Files:

13. kriminaal

Thanks.
    I'm definitely going to try to use a cool mist. I don't want to be running a 400 watt appliance.
    There's enough bulbs already.
    I only need to keep humidity at a moderate level for Ackies. I just want to keep it more constant than misting does.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

The one im using your saying is using alot of power?, im confused

15. kriminaal

It should say on the bottom what the wattage of the unit is.
    But you are supplying a small tank so it might not be that bad.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Mike, depending on the make/model, they have different shaped outlets, so you might need to use an auger bit to make a round hole (some of them just have a narrow slot), so look around and check the top/outlet to see if it can be modified. They are very cheap to buy, most of mine are from ebay, usually working perfectly, and even a new one can be bought for around £20 ($30 U.S)
    EDIT: They (usually) have an adjustable switch, but if it got too humid running it continuously, just put it on a timer for 10 15mins every hour.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you`re using a warm air, it will use a lot more electricity, because the water has to be heated. The cool air is just the small motor. As I say, mine`s only 35w.

18. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I dont think mine is a high watt one but it dont matter to me, it was cheap and easy to make and works great. I cant check cause im out if town but i think i prefer mine over that one in the picture.

19. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

I've got a warm air one plumbed into Ozzy's house with 4" PVC, two 90 degree elbows, a pass through flange, some rubber couplers and a grate on the outlet so stuff can't fall down into the pipe. The one I got just happened to have an outlet on it that the pipe fits perfectly into.

IMG_20110327_142339.jpg

I tried running a cool mist one inside his house during the summer, but it caused serious mold problems. This setup works awesome, I only have to fill it up every other day and it keeps the level at 65%.

Attached Files:

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just out of interest, when you say the cool air caused serious mold, what substrate is in the enclosure? I ask, because I never had any problems with mold. Thanks!