This Disappears When Logged In

Humbug Settling in

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by purplemuffin, Dec 28, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

[​IMG]
    Our little Aphonopelma hentzi!

So "he" (just calling it a him for now, not good at sexing via abdomen, so waiting for a molt) is settling into the new home now. Currently being housed in a .75 gallon tank with a lot of substrate to make the ceiling a bit lower, so no chance of somehow climbing up and falling.

Right now he mostly seems to just hide. At night we sometimes see the spider move around, but he's mostly a pet rock, which sometimes is worrying! I'm not sure what to expect with tarantulas. When walking around he seems calm, never jittery or nervous. He has not raised up his legs defensively or charged at us.

When we were moving him to the new enclosure, like 40 roaches fell out as well which were apparently hidden in the cup with him--which means who KNOWS how many were in that enclosure. No wonder he has a bald spot, I bet he was stressed out to the max! Makes me worry and wonder if he has ever eaten at all lately! How long should I wait to offer food before he is settled in? What does 'settled in' look like with a tarantula?

I would feel more confident if I knew he had gotten better care beforehand, but considering they didn't care if they squished him, I bet they didn't care about a lot of other things.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

The bald spot could mean an impending molt!
    I don't have my book on T's right on hand but usually they will make a burrow and web around the entrance of the tunnel which I take as content. They like to hide, sometimes mine thinks she is arboreal and climbs the glass making me very nervous and hangs on upside down on the screen top.

3. purplemuffin

I am excited and nervous if it is a molt! Actually--the skin on the bald spot is very dark grey/black. I've heard that can also mean a molt! Could that also explain the lack of movement with him/just wanting to hide?

4. mld

Give the enclosure a good spray with water and make sure that there is water to drink in a shallow dish. The more hydrated the easier the molt!

5. purplemuffin

Is the water bowl safe for his size? He's actually very small-- I thought they needed a leg span of at least an inch first?

6. mld

You can place a sponge in the bowl if you want, just make sure to make sure that the sponge is replaced often and water is changed daily. They use their fangs to drink, so make sure that the sponge is full of water. I haven't tried the water gel on mine, that may work.

7. purplemuffin

Okay, thanks soo much! I just want to make sure everything goes well with my first try at tarantula keeping. :) Glad I ended up rescuing a spider already suggested for beginners, LOL!

8. mld

I'm not brave enough for the aggressive ones yet!

9. purplemuffin

Hehe, I kind of like some of the meaner ones, but they would be look-don't-touch spiders for sure!

another tarantula I'd like is the "Salmon Pink Birdeater" or the Lasiodora Parahybana :D REALLY BIG! Also known to be out and about a lot and pretty active while remaining docile! HUGE spider though.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I do beleive my wife would throw me AND the spider out!

11. mld

I like to feed the spiders outside and see just how big they will get, my husband hates it! I've seen him run screaming from a freshly hatched nest of little pepper sized spiders. lol

12. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

When I was teaching in Gallup, NM, a student brought in one they had caught. It was in a glass jar waiting for sharing sitting on my desk. I remember it hanging upside down and dropping to the bottom while I was sitting at my desk and no one was in the room. I think I jumped 3 feet thinking that thing was getting out. Glad you were there to rescue it. I don't think I could have.

13. purplemuffin

Yeah, he was lucky we were there! Right place at the right time for sure!

He seems a bit more confident today. And apparently last night he started webbing a little bit around his hide. Yay! :) :) We're going to pick up some crickets later, see if he's interested in one. Since it still looks like he might be getting ready to molt, he might not be. But sometimes younger ones still eat right up until they molt, so we might as well give it a shot. The rest go to the geckos and the frog!