This Disappears When Logged In

HUGE Problem - Mites and clogged nose.

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Tonight I'm going to clean her tank. I have a large room and I have all my pets in there. Should I clean their tanks also? I have no where else in the house to put them so they have to stay in my room.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If possible move the boa cage to the far end of the room away from the other tanks.
    And do any tank maintainence on them first, leaving the boa cage till the last to avoid carrying any of the little demons in your clothing.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Do a very thorough examination of all your other animals and their cages.

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I have extra virgin olive oil will that work to rub on her?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

for the time being, it will help smother some of the mites, but try and get yourself one of the sprays they recommended. those are a bit more potent because they are actually toxic to the mites, but not to your snake.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes the oil is just a quick knock down to reduce the numbers. It smothers them.

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Alright

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I did the oil thing and she is really shiney! Anything I can do to get ALL the oil off. I cleaned her very good so i don't know what else to do. It won't hurt her will it?

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you can bathe her, which will also drown a few mites, then wipe her down with paper towels, and you can see some of the mites on the towels when you are done.

Don't worry too much over oil residue on her, it's harmless. Just wipe off as much as you can.

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Alright thats what I did. At first she didn't like it but then she completely relaxed!

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

often times, snakes with mites will soak themselves in their water dishes in an attempt to rid themselves of the pesky mites. It's one of the first clues your snake might have mites, if they are soaking more than is normal.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I'm so sorry i haven't been online! I hope everything is working out for you

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Kind of! I'm going to the vet tomorrow morning at 8:30 so I will get shots then. And I'm going to get mite stuff tomorrow too. None of my pet stores carry it! Other than that I'm going to clean everyones cage tomorrow, my snakes last. So I hope that goes ok!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

15. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thank you!!! I need it!

16. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

YOU HAVE SNOW!!!!

Put all of your reptile things OUTSIDE buried in the snow!!!

If you don't want to you will have to clean the tank everyday to kill off hatchlings. EVERYDAY!!!

Get a ten dollar sterilite and some reptile relief and mineral oil!!!

Bathe your snake for thirty minutes
    mist her with the reptile relief or mite spray for birds
    Wait ten minutes then rinse it off WELL!!!

Put her in the clean sterilite.

Tomorrow bathe her again but after soak her entirely with mineral oil...let the oil sit on her.

Clean the sterilite with reptile relief every time she takes a bath.

Repeat for the third day again...Reptile relief on sterilite and mineral oil on her...You should only use the bird mite relief on the snake every third day to prevent drying and burning of the snakes skin.

Fourth day take the cage and supplies out of the snow...
    Clean well...
    Follow day one for snake
    Put bathed mite sprayed and rinsed snake back into the cage with just paper and water and heat...

KEEP AN EYE ON HER FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS
    While you are checking your other animals for any signs of mites...

Watch her next shed....She will need help shedding
    The mineral oil makes her skin very tough for her to get off herself....

You have snow!!! I had to put my stuff in the freezer. lol.

Ps Don't forget to vacuum WELL and clean your room well!!!

Don't cross handle any reptiles...Stick to one a week. get some hand sanitizer!!! wear short sleeve shirts!!! Good luck!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.