This Disappears When Logged In

HUGE Problem - Mites and clogged nose.

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

i could hear my rea tailed breath and i got up took her out she had mites on her and her noes is completely clogged up i will take her to the vet tomorrow as soon as it opens what can i do right now to help her

I can't take her to the vet today. I work tonight until ten...I'm praying I can take her to the vet tomorrow. I don't know what to do I just sat there and cried and laid beside her. I put warm water on her nose with a q-tip and I hope in helped. I am not changing the heat at night. I cleaned out her cage at 1 in the morning and put nothing but her and her water bowl back in. I couldn't use bleach because I had no where to clean it because out side it stacked in snow and everyone was asleep so I couldn't do too much. if you can think of anything to help her breathe or to help with the mites then please please tell me. I am at a loss and I don't know what to do until tomorrow. Could this potentially kill her?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

There is a spray you can buy for the mites which is very good. I can't think of it right now, but someone will chime in. Get that. It will take LOTS of cleaning and soaking but they are controllable.

3. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Black Knight 2, Prevent a mite, Reptile Relief, or Equate Bedding spray.

Clean the cage. Then spray one of the above in the cage. While you are doing all that soak her in a warm water and soap mix, to help kill the mites. After the soak spray and rub her with one of the sprays. Do not spray her head.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bri, you ARE having a time with her aren't you!
    The spray is "Reptile Relief" by Natural Chemistry.
    Till then you can wipe the snake down with mineral oil or vegetable oil. This will smother most of the mites, follow this with a luke warm bath to remove the oil.

Then you can wipe the tank down with alcohol.

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I'm having a horrible time with her. I got about two hours of sleep last night. All I could focus on was her breathing. My vet just doesn't know anything about reptiles. So tomorrow hopefully I can get her to the new one. Thanks for all the advice. Is there anywhere I can buy the spray from other than over the internet? I couldn't find it in my pet store. Any suggestions for the RI condition?

6. Merlin

I have seen the Reptile Relief at Petco.
    As for the RI bring the temps up by 5 degrees. That will help till you can get to the vet.

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I turned her heat up all the way. Thank you i will be on later!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Her normal tank will need a very thorough cleaning, keep her on newspaper or paper towels for the time being, and change them daily before the mites have a chance to lay any more eggs. You can get a storage tote for about $10.00 at wal*mart as a temporary cage while you thoroughly clean her regular cage. Alcohol, bleach, and any of the mite sprays would work, but make sure you really scrub it and get all the corners - you don't want a single mite left in there to start this whole mess over again. Also, let the cage air out so there aren't any fumes in it that might harm the snake afterward.

I hope you manage to get rid of those darned mites - they are awfully problematic. Keep us posted.

9. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok thanks I will clean everything when i get home. So what do I do with her hide? Can I put it in the oven or what should I do with it?

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What is her hide made of?

11. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Just one of those half tree bark cave things

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, bake it. When you're done baking it, you can bleach it too. When it comes to mite removal, you can never be "too extreme". and don't give it back to her until they are gone. Change her over to something plastic for the time being, that is easy to bleach and clean daily, and doesn't have all the hiding spots that bark has.

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok what temperature do I bake it on?

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

250 or 300 (Fahrenheit) is plenty, I should think. I haven't done that too often, so if anyone else has another suggestion, it's probably more accurate than mine.

15. Merlin

300 degrees for 20 minutes. And bleaching afterward is not required. That temp will kill any mites or eggs. Strip out the tank except for absolute neccesities. Hide and water bowl.
    And keep a VERY close eye on your beardies. Mites move between enclosures very easily.
    I would even put them in another room if possible.

16. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok thank you very much

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ai, I feel so sorry for you. Hopefully soon they will bring you pleasure instead of grey hair![​IMG]

18. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thanks...looks like I'm not going to be able to go to the vet today at all. Have an appointment Thursday for her at a new vet. I'm so busy at work I don't have time for anything. Snake (Geovanni) shed and she looks a lot better. Also nose is clearer.

19. Merlin

Take the shed and all the things that you are throwing away tied tightly in a garbage bag and get them out of the house! Continue wiping down the tank with alcohol. Mites breed rapidly!

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yes, everything you do, do thoroughly. keep us updated.

Not surprised about the nose clearing up after the shed - sometimes the skin loosening in the nostrils can make odd and distressing sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.