This Disappears When Logged In

Huge Jumping Spider

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by mld, Jun 28, 2012.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just thought I would share some photos I took of this jumping spider, it's huge compared to the ones we normally see around here. Well at least I think it's a jumping spider, she was pretty hairy one.

P6280067.jpg
    P6280068.jpg
    P6280070.jpg
    P6280071.jpg

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi Mr. Spider, I hope you are enjoying the view.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Dang! That spider looks gigantic! Good find!

4. mld

The ones that we normally see around here are the size of ants, this one was totally different, I think it's a Phidippus sp.

5. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

AH! Kill it! Kill it with fire! Jumping spiders out here are pretty small. How odd.

6. mld

I don't kill spiders! lol
    I like having them around, they are always welcome to munch on those other bugs that I don't care for.
    Jumping spiders are actually pretty cool to watch, they way they attack their prey and how they are so territorial.

7. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

But they are NOT fun when you step right next to them, and they decide your toes are good target practice.

8. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Awesome spider. Did you feed it? Hehe...

My wife's spider phobia seems to be dwindling. The other day she caught a spider in her bathroom and decided that I would want to see it, so she fed it one of the pinheads I've been breeding. Pretty awesome. :)

9. mld

I didn't feed this one, but I usually will throw the odd bug into a spider web and watch them go.

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It appears to be a species within the Phidippus genus...definite female. Also, unlike most other spiders jumpers hunt without using a web, rather a quick, calculated leap (hence the name). The only time they will use webbing is when nesting or for shelter. They are by far my favorite spiders.

11. mld

Thanks Matt! Are males brighter in color? They are one of my favorite spiders also, I like the hairy ones :)

12. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

Ew! I would not have my camera out, I would have my shoe out! I HATE spiders! SO MUCH!

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Most species are sexually dimorphic and males are usually smaller in size with disproportionate features (small abdomen, long legs, etc etc). Males are often more colorful as well, though females of some species can share this trait. Check out bugguide.net if you're interested...there is a lot of great info there.

14. mld

Actually I did go to bugguide.net and posted it just after I posted it here! I guess there was another guy in 2010 who spotted one as well in my province, but they are usually not seen around here.

15. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Seems like a great find Michele!