This Disappears When Logged In

HR 511 ‘Python Ban’ Goes To Hearing

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by Rich, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

On Thursday, November 29 at 10:00 AM, the US House Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing on HR 511. The bill known as the 'Python Ban' seeks to add nine constricting snakes to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. HR 511 would restrict import and interstate transport throughout the US. USARK stands in strong opposition to HR 511.

Read More...

2. williamweir10

williamweir10 Elite Member

So what does this mean (if it passes) for those of us that already own a type of snake on that list?? The "ban interstate transfer" part is the one that worries me. Being in the military, I have to transfer duty stations every three years, which means I have to move all my snakes...

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Basically it means that if your snakes fall under the catagory of 'injurious wildlife' you can not transport them across state lines without breaking federal law. Your balls will be fine, but if this passes you will have to give up your boa before moving to a new state

4. williamweir10

Well it better not pass then.........

5. justor

justor Elite Member

Amen to that!

6. williamweir10

I don't understand why they would put regular boa constrictors on the list... They don't get nearly as big as burms or retics....

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Because they are going for sensationalism. For many of the older generation, boa constrictor was THE giant monster snake!
    Nothing about this bill is based on actual knowledge.

8. williamweir10

So stupid.... I still can't believe that even a BCI is going to be on the list (if it gets passed)..

Did I miss a giant outbreak of freed/escaped BCI/BCC in the news somewhere?

Edit: Apparently, this forum likes to put the entire boa constrictor name in when you try to abbreviate it... Hahah! That looks a little ridiculous..

9. Merlin

Actually abbreviations to those not in the know are confusing. Having the site auto correct abbreviations is easier than having to constantly explain what the abbreviations mean.
    That is why we prohibit the use of text speak I/M abbreviations as well.

And you missed it. The original work back in 2009 was to add all 40 species of Python, and possibly Boa Constrictor to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act.!
    This current list is what they had whittled it down to.

10. williamweir10

I definitely agree with you! I think I just now finally understand the handful of abbreviations that are thrown around all the time. And that's cool about the text abbreviation corrections..

Are you serious?!??! So even little super docile Ball Pythons were going to be on the Injurious Wildlife list?!?? Makes absolutely no sense.

11. Merlin

As I said the entire bill has no basis in actual knowledge.

12. williamweir10

So what are they basing it off of? I understand (yet do not agree with) the burms, from the problems in Florida, but I can't see what they are basing the rest of it off of.. Maybe I'm just being extremely biased because I'm a snake owner, I don't know..

13. Merlin

Its based on personal agendas. There are some very powerful lobbying groups(PETA, HSUS, etc) who, if they have their way, would completely strip people of the rights to have pets. ANY pets, this includes everything from dogs and cats to hamsters and parakeets!

They have just used the burmese problems in the everglades to step up their efforts since it has been all over the news.

14. williamweir10

That's so stupid. I really hope it doesn't pass.. Is there anything we can do to help our cause?

15. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

This cant pass. I might move to Washington soon and I'll die if I can't take my Zuulie with me! D:

16. Merlin

Yes, join USARK (United States Association of Reptile Keepers) United States Association of Reptile Keepers
    They are the main lobbying group supporting OUR interests and fighting this stuff.
    They also send out notices of upcoming hearings and meetings on this type of legislation.

17. williamweir10

I'll definitely have to do that.

18. Merlin

Posted here for Snakesitter

As some of you may know, HR 511 goes in front of the House Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs *tomorrow*. This bill will set the precedent for how not only other snakes, but also other exotic pets, are treated, so it is crucial we defeat it.

However, almost no snake owners seem to be calling the committee members to oppose it.

Just this morning I called four of the congressmen on the subcommittee that will decide HR 511 tomorrow. Of them, only the chairman (Fleming) seems to be getting any volume. Of the other three, Young (Alaska) has gotten only a few calls, which were were both for and against; Markey (Mass) has received *no* other calls; and Harris (Maryland) I forgot to ask.

If we are going to kill this, we need people to call other members beyond the chair. Even if a rep is not from your state, call in -- the more voices, the better!

The subcommittee membership is listed here: Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs - House Committee on Natural Resources. Please call, at a minimum, three reps -- your state's rep, the chair, and then fill in any one or two more to top it off.

Let's make a difference, keepers! Please post below after you call, who, and the results!

Thank you,

19. Snakesitter

Snakesitter Member

Thank you, Merlin -- not sure why I could not do it myself!

20. Juliankyo

Juliankyo Member

WOW!!! I really hope it doesnt pass!! i live here in mexico, but it will be only for a few years! By the time I go back, if that stupid law changes, I may not even be able to bring it to the US with me!!! D:
    Thats a BUMMER!!! :(