This Disappears When Logged In

How Would You Heat This?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by RayneFyre, Feb 12, 2010.

1. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Thinking about building this cage. (Note: this is not my design.) Just curious how would I heat it for my BCI. UTH, ceramic bulb, something else? Any thoughts or even pictures of how you have yours done would be awesome. Thanks!

2004_EZ_4FootCagePrint.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Well-Known Member

I would put an under the tank heater under its hide and a CHE on a thermostat would be good for the ambient heat.

As far as that size of tank, are you limited on space. You may want to make it a little longer. A rule of thumb I came across was the length should be about 3/4 of the length of snake and about 1/3 for the width. A 6x2x2 would be a good size. If you can't then 4x2x2 should be alright.

3. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Might be a completely novice question, but aren't Under Tank Heaters meant for glass cages? I'm not sure I would trust an UTH on wood.

4. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Well-Known Member

That's a good thought. If you can. Where ever you put it's hide make the floor a glass panel.

5. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Right now my boa is still a baby, barely 2' long. I will probably upgrade him once he gets much bigger. Any advice on how to rig the CHE up? I've seen them inside the cages with a wire guard over them but I'm not sure how exactly to do that.

6. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

It would probably all depend on the thickness of the wood if you could put a heater onit

7. LeeLeeCrestee

LeeLeeCrestee Well-Known Member

you need a glass panel on the bottom. also make the cage bigger and better now so you dont have to do it again in the soon future.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No you don't need a glass panel on the bottom and you don't need an uth. Bumping this up So Merlin or David see this. They are the men to ask on large snake enclosures.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A single 100 watt CHE and thermostat should give you all the heat that you need. This is mine
    IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg

Attached Files:

10. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Thanks Merlin. I just have one question. Would it be better to use a CHE or a radiant heat panel. I can't seem to decide between the two which would work better and be the better value in the long run. This cage is also in my bedroom, so would an infrared lamp be better so it doesn't disturb my boyfriend when we are asleep?

11. Merlin

I have no experience with radient heat panels. And a CHE is not an infrared lamp. Those will produce light.
    Neither the CHE nor the radiant heat panel emit any light so it would not matter.

12. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Oh okay. Sorry I'm so used to flexwatt that I'm a total noob on anything else. Would I just drill a hole through the roof of the cage and stick in a bulb socket or is there a special procedure to do it?

13. Merlin

I tried flexwatt but it didn't give me the heat I needed .

Mine is a ceramic keyless fixture mounted directly to the ceiling. You can gety the parts at Lowes or Home Depot for next to nothing. And they can show you how it all hooks together. And I am NO electrician! LOL!
    Something like this
    Display Cage Page 8

14. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Okay. Sorry just a few more questions. Are ceramic and porcelain fixtures the same thing? Also, where do you get a cage/screen that goes over the bulb? Thanks for all your help btw.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I'm not sure about the ceramic/porcelain but I think they are the same. As for the screening, it's called hardware cloth and you can get it at lowes, home depot, or probably any hardware store.

16. Merlin

Ceramic and porcelin are the same thing.

The cage for the heater I made out of 1/4 inch hardware cloth, rolled double thickness into a tube and wired together.

17. Merlin

Here is how I did it.
    IMG_0487.jpg
    The chrome ring at the top is the decorative ring for a kitchen range stove top burner. Got it at Home Depot.
    (those people really should give us a commission forall the advertising we do for them!);)
    For the cylinder part I cut a length of 1/4 inch hardware cloth approximately 2 inches longer than I would need. Rolling it up double thickness (for strength) and put it inside the ring to make sure it would fit. Using fishing line I tied it on either end and in the middle to hold the wire cylinder in place while I laced it. I used galvanized wire (22gauge) and starting at one end wrapped it in and out of the wire squares securing the outer end of the hardware cloth. I originally had planned to run a bead of silicone along the exposed cut edge of the screen but I found this unnecessary and that by doing this very tightly not only did it make the cylinder quite strong it also covered the exposed edge of the cut hardware cloth leaving a nice smooth surface with nothing for the snake to cut itself on. I ran my hand along it several times to make sure! After the wire was in place I cut and removed the fishing line anchors.
    For the bottom section I measured out a circle of single thickness wire 1.5 inches larger in diameter than I needed to fit the circle and marked the inside diameter of the circle. then going around the circle at intervals I cut a wedge out of the ring of screen that was outside the circle that I needed intact. I started by dividing it into quarters and then eighths going down till I got sections that I could fold up 90 degrees and that would allow me to insert it into the cylinder. Using the same technique as before I laced the wire around base of the cylinder and attached the bottom.
    One note/ Since the sizes of the 2 sections is not going to be precise you need to make very certain that you mark at least 4 equal divisions on both the cylnder and the inserted circle and secure them to start with or you will get to the end and have a gap.
    I used the same wedge cut out technique on the top of the cylinder folded over under the ring to secure it.
    I hope I have explained this ok and didn't confuse you too much!

Attached Files:

18. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

That's really cool! Thanks for the explanation. I gotcha. :) I guess my only question left is do I need to cover the floor with anything besides clear coat? I've seen tile but wasn't sure if that's required or optional. Any other ideas would be cool too. Thanks again for all your help!

19. Merlin

I just put down 4-5 coats of polycrylic. Then I lay down newspaper and put down the aspen. I tried just putting down newspaper but she kept finding the edges and getting under it.
    I think when I do the next one I will put down sheet lineoleum in the bottom.

20. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Sorry I found I have another question. I plan on having a hinged door above the litter dam and I'm not exactly sure if one piece of acrylic would be able to span the whole distance or should I put a center support in?