This Disappears When Logged In

How to Support a Reflector on Top of a Screen Hood?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by jweiner, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

I have a 20 L tank for a leopard gecko. I purchased the Zilla dual reflector hood (for a daylight and a moonlight bulb):

Amazon.com: Zilla Incandescent 20" Dual Bulb Reptile Fixture: Pet Supplies

However, this hood (the only size available) does not span the entire length of the cage top which means it just rests on the screen. What would be the best way to stabilize/support the reflector hood so its entire weight is not resting on the screen? It's not that heavy, but I just want to avoid any potential of it breaking through the screen over time.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You could silicone two small strips of wood or anything similar across the hood for it t rest on the edge of the tank.

3. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity can that happen? I use a metal screen top which I assumed you were talking about. The basking light I use and the UVB light rests directly on the metal. I've noticed that the wire mesh shows some brown burn marks from time to time where the basking light goes but if I wipe down the screen it's good as new. You could also install some small metal shelf plates to the wall and have it rest on that.

4. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

My aquarium isnt that close to a wall. I was thinking about getting a couple 14" (or so) metal strips to run from the front to the back of the tank and then just rest the light fixture on the metal strips. I just wasn't sure what type or where to purchase such metal strips?? Maybe I can just trim a piece of sheet metal to size (although that may be too flexible itself).

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have a 55 gallon with the scandard screen top with a dome and CHE sitting on it that has been there for 10 years. I doubt the reflector its going to fall thru the screen.
    Unless the mesh is not metal.

6. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

The mesh is indeed metal. I just want to be extra cautious (my OCD coming through) since this reflector hood is probably a tad heavier than the typical dome with a bulb in it.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just take your finger and put it in the center of the screen and push down. Your reflector is not going to put anywhere the amount of pressure you will. And since the reflector is not going to be putting force in a localized area like your finger would I doubt you will have an issue with it.

8. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

I may silicone a couple metal strips to the screen top just to be safe - - I know it's overkill

9. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

I agree. There's no way that it will push through a metal barrier.