This Disappears When Logged In

How To Start A Reptile Education Program?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Nathan Guerrero, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Hi everyone,

So, I've been thinking about starting up a reptile education program... for birthday parties, at the library, etc. I just had a few questions, before I start one...

First, I have quite a few animals (about 7), but not a lot of variety; I have five leopard geckos (2 special morphs, 3 "mutts", for lack of a better word), 1 corn snake, and 1 pacman frog. I was thinking about asking my veterinary science teacher if I could borrow a few of the classroom reptiles, but I just wanted to know if it would be worth asking her...
    Which brings me to my next question. I don't mean to sound self-serving, but if I were to charge (which I'm not entirely sure I want to do; I just really need the money), about how much should I charge?
    And finally, would I need any permits or licenses, or could I just do it under the table? I live in Delaware state, so I'm particularly looking for advice on this subject from another Delawarean... :)
    Thanks!

P.S. I apologize if this is in the wrong section... I'm a newbie :)

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

If you are gonna charge any money, you will need at least a pedlar's license, look that up, I'm not quite sure.
    I would also look in to some type of insurance, because if any thing happens, you will be held liable.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First off you have to have insurance. Any thing that happens could lead to a lawsuit that could take everything you own. Since there is money involved you will need tax advise. What you are considering can get pretty complicated.
    And going into this as an under the table venture can get you into serious trouble.

Contact your local animal control as well as your department of wildlife. They can give you more localized advise.

Jay1718 and Darkbird like this.
  4. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Well said