This Disappears When Logged In

How to Set Up a Consistent Cage Temp and Humidity?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Khorne, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

I've got a glass tank with a mesh top, using standard lights and heat, spraying for moister. How would I stabilize the temperature and humidity, instead of the constant flux its in now?

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

you need to cover the screen top with a piece of plywood (my preference) or some aluminum foil, with spaces cut out for the lights... a screen top just lets all of the valuable heat and humidity escape and it is pointless to even try....

3. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

I've got a towel over it right now, would Plexiglas be better than plywood?

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah but if you are using a uvb bulb which is debatable umong herpers whether is is beneficial or not but is always good to use, it will filter out the uvb rays unless you cute out areas to have the light shine through, but then you also run the risk of the plexy glass melting too.... I sat plywood or foil is the better options, and the towel is doing nothing because it is absorbent and is absorbing all of the moisture out of the air....

5. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

How would some Plexy Glass with about the last 9 inches cut off? So it wouldnt cover the whole cage, the snake could breathe, and I would put the light where the glass cuts off.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

but the heat from the bulb could scorch the glass and melt it though.....id say if you arnt good with would I would go with the foil, its cheap and easy.... and you do not need to worry about ventilation because when you go to feed or take the snake out it will get enough air exchange, and also the spaces around the light will allow for enough ventilation.... :)

7. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it have to be incredibly hot to do that? I use a simple 50 watt bulb, and the casing is only hot in direct contact, and only then at the top.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

what type of UVB bulb are you using and no, over a period of time it will get hot, and it would be better to act as though it would then to take the chance..... all im saying is it is better to use the foil or plywood then plexyglass..... but to each its own, if you want to use the plexy glass the by all means do so but it is at the expense of your pet if something goes wrong and itsat your own risk..... im just saying what ive heard other more experienced snake herpers say on here....

9. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Plexy glass isnt my first choice (Not that I know what my first choice is. Probably the cheapest thing I can find), but if I do need to I'm sure it will work (Maybe)

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

the cheapest would be the foil.... just wrap your screened top with the foil and cut out where the lights are....and you are good to go...

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Best thing would be to ditch the screen top altogether and build a lid out of plywood. Cut it to fit the top of the tank, make cutouts for the lights and put screen over them, seal the wood with 2-3 coats of polycrylic, wait a few days to make sure it's completely cured, then drop it on the tank. Light fixtures are never sealed, so plenty of air will get in. I can't give any more specific instructions without knowing what your keeping in said tank. Oh, and plywood is preferable because it insulates much better than plexiglass. I have even used foam insulation on the back and both ends of a tank to help stabilize temps.

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I tried to tell him about the plywood but seems sold on the plexyglass..... its a corn snake