This Disappears When Logged In

How to Sedate a Reptile

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by BulletSponge62485, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BulletSponge62485

BulletSponge62485 Active Member

My wife and I come across a lot of sick animals with our rescue. Sometimes some of them are in need of some major work that I can do here without going to a vet. I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to sedate a reptile, both snakes and lizards. I currently have a Savannah Monitor that needs a whole lot of work but he keeps trying to bite me and run away every time. If it is not possible to do or not safe to do then I will just have to keep using the vet. I was just hoping to find a way to sedate and do the work I myself know how to do to try and keep the vet costs down as much as possible. Thanks guys.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Re: How to Sedate a Reptile?

Without proper monitoring equipment necessary for anesthesia sedation, I would not attempt to do this myself. Sorry but your best bet is to see a vet.

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I agree with Marsha, if more is needed then just wrapping the animal in a towel a vet should be consulted.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm going to agree with the others, sedation can be very tricky in reptiles since they have such slow metabolisms. I would ask your vet if they have any at home suggestions, but ideally you should probably leave it to the trained professionals.

What kind of 'work' are you talking about doing on your monitor, maybe someone has some tricks to make it easier on the both of you.

5. BulletSponge62485

There are a lot of wounds that I would like to inspect. That is why wrapping it in a towel does not work so well. :( I do not want to end up killing anything, so I will just not do that. I was just hoping that there was a way to kind of put it to sleep for a little bit so that I can get a closer inspection of it, but he is so feisty I can't really get a good look.

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

If closer inspection is needed wait until night and he is resting, use a digital camera with flash, be very quite and snap some pics of the area. I have done this on many occasions with critters that wouldn't hold still. It may sound crazy, but it worked with a Nile Monitor I had that did not want to be handled. It may not be perfect but it can give you a closer look without stressing the animal.

7. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

well maybe you could cool him down because reptiles are cold blooded and when they get cold they get really sluggish.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I do not recommend cooling him to the point he becomes sluggish. That is not a safe idea, you open yourself up for many problems! I have been doing reptile rescue for years, and have always used a vet when it comes to sedation. Vitals have to be monitored, that is a must. It really is no different than you having surgery, when they sedate you, you have an anesthesiologist monitoring your vitals all the time, and doctors available to step in if you crash.

In reptile rescue, unexpected things come up. Very expensive things, it is always good to be prepared.

9. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

I have to agree with Nicole on this one. It would be too risky.

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

No cooling!

The 'looking while he's sleeping' idea is great though, I wish I had come up with it!

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

No chance of getting some help and restraining it...or is it too injured? The one time event would not stress it out too much. Monitors are hardy lil beasts...in the wild I have seen some getting attacked by big predators and coming out top...even major wounds heal up and thy keep on going.

12. BulletSponge62485

I do very much like the idea of snapping photos while he is sleeping, I don't know why that never came to mind. I am not wanted to sedate to the point that I could cut him open or anything like that though. I was more or less thinking the equivalent of what Nyquil does to people. I will try the picture idea and then if more is needed I will take him into the vet. We have done a lot of rescues that have required a closer look and as with many animals that are at that point of neglect, they are not too friendly(and who can blame them). We have always used a vet before but just thought it might save me some money if someone on here knew of a safe way to do this. I will not do the cooling down method. I have seen the effects that can have on reptiles.

13. BulletSponge62485

Caudalis, in response to your suggestion, we have been able to restrain him for a few of the wounds, but he has one on him that just looks nasty. Its pussing and oozing and I am thinking that he has been stabbed by something. I am wanting to make sure that there is nothing in there as the earliest I can get in to see our only vet in the area is going to be about a week and a half... I will have to take some pictures of this guy for you guys, I am really rootin for him but I am just not sure how he is going to fare when this is all over with.

14. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Do you have a 24 hour critical care unit where you live? I drive two hours to mine. They are vets that are open 24/7 so you can just walk in. Make sure you have someone there with knowledge of how to treat reptiles. At the least they can stabilize him, then transfer him to your regular vet. They are really great people (at least over here they are). So great that I have spent the better part of the last two days with mine, lol.

I will warn you though, they are spendy! However if it is oozing and such I would recommend a trip there to at least start some antibiotics.

15. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Active Member

I would talk to a vet about doing that, you could hurt the animal more or kill it.

16. mxkid514

mxkid514 Member

With my texas colllared lizard I just rubbed his tummy and he completely froze for a minute.

17. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

He needs that wound treated soon if it is at all ***** looking. Those type of wounds can have stuff travel under the skin or in layers of muscle and the reptile will die from it. Even our vet was unable to stop that from happening in a wound that was treated right away, and our boy died. She said sometimes they will even live a few weeks after treatment and when they start seeming better, they can still die.

18. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Ok guys, keep an eye on the dates... This was from 2 months ago....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.