This Disappears When Logged In

How to Remove a Snake from a Cage Without It Biting Me???(which It Did)

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jezabella1982, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

I have had my snake about a year and it never bit me untill a couple weeks ago when i reached into its cage.
    I feed it in it's cage, and he never bit me when i took him out. I would usually put my hand up to him and let him smell it first, thinking that once he smelled i wasnt food he wouldnt strike. Well apparently that night, he decided he wanted Hand for dinner, because he struck me.

Now, do you think it was because he was mad i was reaching in it's cage? honestly, it looked like he was really happy to see me (aka thought i had food ), so i think he thought he was getting fed.

My question is, how can i prevent this from happening again. Should i get a hook? and how would i even get him out if he is hidden under his hide. I wouldnt want him to make me jump and I DROP it on him by accident.
    Once he is finally out of the cage, are the odds most likely that he wont bite?

I want to take him out and handle him a couple times a week, but honestly, now i am a little scared he will bite me again. :(((

Thanks for your help!!!!

2. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

i always feed my ball python in a seperate tank and i washed my hands before and after i handled her also kept her feeders pretty far from her tank but im no expert im sure a more experinced member will be around shortly :)

3. rosi92

rosi92 Subscribed User Premium Member

I think you are right, he probably thought you were feeding him, and saw your hand as food. I would recommend getting a hook if you don't already have one, and maybe you could get some gloves until you feel more comfortable around him again. Remember, most animals seem to sense if you are nervous/scared, which can make them nervous as well.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Gloves will help rebuild your confidence. That way if he bites it wont hurt. He probley thaught you where supper and went into feeding mode.

5. GoldDust

GoldDust Well-Known Member

Thsi is pretty off topic, but what did it feel like? I have a boa myself, and I've always wondered what being bit by her would feel like..

6. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Feeding your snake in a separate container won't reduce the risk of getting bitten. The truth is quite the opposite, really! When you feed your snake in a separate enclosure, you have to handle your snake and move it back to its home while its in feeding mode. This is actually a great way TO get bitten.

To prevent a bite, make sure you open the enclosure slowly and don't startle your snake. Pick it up from behind instead of coming at its face. Wash your hands before handling. If your snake is in its hide, don't reach in for it, simply remove the hide and then pick up the snake.

By the way, welcome to the bite club! (Next time take pictures.)

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I agree with BB's comment, I fed my baby corn in another container for the first time (before this I laid out a large piece of cardboard in her enclosure and put the mouse on it so she wouldn't swallow substrate) and she was very bitey! I nearly dropped her when I was putting her back.

8. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Depends on the size, I was tagged by a 6 foot blood Python and its not pleasant. Its like getting 7-8 shots all at once, with the added fun of a pair of pliers grasping you added to it

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

VERY good description!

I think that your major mistake was putting your hand in the boa's face for him to smell you. Most snakes are quite defensive when it comes to their heads. You never want to approach a snake from face on.

10. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

What are you feeding him, is it dead or alive, and how often, and how big is your boa?

11. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

hmm well i was definitely given the wrong info then but also never bitten by my snake and i did it that way for 2 years so it was a win win for me haha

12. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

It's a very common misconception, but I think if you really look at the situation, you'll find it makes sense.

The real reason for not feeding a snake in its enclosure is for risk of impaction from the substrate.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I agree, the snake probably thought you were about to feed. I get tagged a lot, but then again it really does not bother me as much as some folks. I have never had an issue with feeding in the enclosure and I tend to agree with the point Barely Breathing made about the increased possibility of getting bitten if you move the snake to a separate feeding bin (however it is your choice if that is what you like to do).

Many times, a snake will hiss and snap just to be left alone...if you do it once and are intimidated, the snake wins and you will leave him alone. He has therefore in effect, trained YOU! I take the hit/bite and then I do what needs to be done then I put the snake back into his enclosure and then I have let him know that I am not intimidated easily.

14. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I feed my Snakes in their enclosures, but I use tongs so you know lol...