This Disappears When Logged In

how to raise humidity?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by monitor_man3113, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i got my temps right now my humidity is too low i have a screen lid on my burms tank but its coverd and i still cant get humidity right any advice???

2. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

You can mist the enclosure a few times a day or you can buy a cool mist humidifier. There are a few ways to get an enclosure more humid, but if it's really low and really big which I'm assuming it is being as it's for a burm then you'd probably want to go with a humidifier or something along those lines, but that's as far as I know.

3. he is in a 55 gallon tank that the moment but where can i by a humidifier and how much is it going to run me?

4. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Ebay has them, you can probably find one at Ebay, Walmart, Target or other stores like that, there are also reptile specific brands. Also, there might be other options that I haven't thought of yet that other people might know that would be better suited for you, I don't know.

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

What humidity levels are you trying to reach and maintain?

There are several ways to maintain higher humidity - mist the tank a few times a day, as needed, and make sure you have a large water bowl in the enclosure to increase humidity. You can also consider adding a second water bowl over the warmer end of the tank to add to humidity.

With mesh enclosures the humidity is much more difficult to maintain: we have an all mesh enclosure for our chameleon, however, humidity levels in our house seem to be around 30-50% and so his humidity levels are quite easy to maintain.

There are different gadgets and gizmos you can buy - waterfalls and timed misters, humidifiers and so forth. For a Burm you obviously need something that will withstand his weight and so for this reason something like a waterfall might not be the best solution.

Of course the other option to consider is an enclosure made out of something else - for some of our snake species that require higher humidity we use plastic enclosures, as they hold humidity far better than wood, glass or mesh.

6. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

It looks like everything is pretty much covered. Make sure half or more of the lid is covered with something like plexiglass that will hold the humidity in. Also, try adding a second, smaller water dish in the hot end of the tank like Bitis said. The heat will make that area very humid raising your overall humidity.

7. ok im trying to keepit very close to on the dot at 60% is there a way to keep it there im going to try damp towls on the lid.....ty for the replies

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Damp towels might assist the humidity also yes. As for keeping the humidity in then it is a difficult task with so much ventilation - though a lot of ventilation is also a good thing, as with species of high humidity they also need a good air flow to prevent mould and fungus growing and to help prevent illnesses such as respiratory infections.

I really think with several mistings of the enclosure and a couple of large water bowls your humidity should be maintained at an adequate level. What are you using to monitor the humidity? Some gauges are better than others - we have often found that some have broken or haven't been working properly and the humidity has been much higher or lower than we thought.

9. im useing the wrong type i know but im useing a flukers temp and humidity gauge to monitor the temps and humidity i knwo i gotta get a digital so any suggestions on a good type to get?

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Walmart and Target sell digital thermometers with an external probe for under $15.00. (I believe they are $9.99.)

You can toss the ?base" on one end of the enclosure and the probe can be run to the other end and monitor both ends off the same unit. They are accurate with 1 degree.

11. ty rich for the info ill have to go to walmart and see what they got

12. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

I know WalMart has an acurite (brand) that measures temp with a probe (hot and cold) and has a humidity gauge on it for about $12. If any of that makes sense ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.