This Disappears When Logged In

How To Get Kellogg Used To Me Again?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Oct 24, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

Kellogg has been hiding for a few weeks now...

I think it's because I spooked him when I had him about last time. He was climbing in my lap and I must have had part of my shirt tucked under my arm, because it fell and touched Kellogg. I don't know why it scared him so much, it was just an itty-bitty corner of a shirt, but he slithered as fast as he could under the shelf. I let him calm down and put him back in his cage, and he hasn't stopped hiding since.

No change in his enclosure, heat is correct (basking side is about 85 F). Eating normally. When I change his water he'll pop his head out from under the substrate to see what I'm doing, but he won't come all the way out.

How do I let him know that I won't scare him again? Should I just do what I did when I first got him - put my hand in the enclosure to get him used to my scent for a few days and then hold him for more and more minutes at a time?

2. KelloggCornsnakes

Edit: I have seen him switch hides a few times (maybe only about 2-4 times?), so he might not be exploring his cage, but he is moving around.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If you really think it's had a traumatic effect on him you can try gently laying your hand in the tank.

IMO I'd just leave him alone. He's eating, right?

4. KelloggCornsnakes

Yes, he's eating fine. Put my hand in the tank and he came out to smell me, like usual. Checked on him again later and he had moved to the top of his tree hide.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Maybe just start with short sessions for a bit again. Hand in the tank, holding but still in tank, holding out of tank, all while slowly increasing the amount of time spent with it.