This Disappears When Logged In

how to catch crickets

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Kachina, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kachina

Kachina Elite Member

They are not going in the tubes. My son has tried using the tongs and ends up killing them. He is a bit squeamish about touching them.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

If you lay the papertowe or toilet paper roll in with them, they should climb in, lol. Tell him to wear gloves,,they wont hurt him :)

3. Kachina

Kachina Elite Member

Do you mean lay them down instead of slanted like they are now?

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Yep, you can also put some cricket feed or some veggies inside to make them go in there.

5. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

You could also try putting some pieces of egg carton in there. They will use those as hides, and then you can pick one up and pop it into a plastic baggie and shake the crix off.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's what I do. I have egg cartons cut up, and they love to hang out on that. I just pick one up and shake into a gallon ziplock bag, then dump into the tank. I usually get about 4 or 5 at a time.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Personally I just stick my hand in and grab a handful :D But the egg carton idea works very well too. The cardboard egg cartons that is, not the Styrofoam ones.

8. schlegelbagel

how many crickets do you keep at once? I find that i usually lose about a dozen before they get fed to my frogs. I try to get 4 dozen, but lots of times the store will only give me 3 dozen at a time. Often I find the dead ones have been decapitated by other crickets. Do I need more egg crates perhaps?

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Crickets are canabalistic. lol If they don't have enough "food" around, they will feed on each other. An already dead cricket is fair game in their eyes. Also, they require a moisture source. They will kill one another to "drink" their bodily fluids.

Another way to get the tubes to work is to have one end covered. If the tubes can be looked through, they are not as reliable as if one end were covered and it is dark inside.

10. schlegelbagel

That makes me want to vomit.

They do have plenty of food and water out. I wonder if they are too stupid to find it. Its smack dab in the middle of the tank! I wonder if the edges to the water container are too high for them to figure out. I need to remember to get some sponges and just keep it moist on a tupperware lid.... I also noticed they do better when I keep high in moisture fruits in there, like melon.

11. meki

meki Elite Member

Thats what I do.... :rolleyes:

I use the mop to get rid of them if one of them escapes and goes behind of the fridge and then tries to wake me up in the middle of the night... but other than that the best tool is your hand :) :D

12. schlegelbagel

i have YET to hear my crickets make any noise. A few have escaped, but I think the cats catch them.

13. meki

meki Elite Member

Lol, i really hope that your cat indeed catches them ;)

Cause sometimes they can drive u.

PS
    They say that the amount and frequency of the sound crickets make depends on the room temperature. And you can actually determine the temperature by measuring the frequency of the *squeak squeak* :)

14. Dark-Side

Dark-Side Active Member

mmmmmm yummy

at petsmart they give out the crickets in the plastic bags same as fish not sure about elsewhere but i just stick my hand in
    try having him do that its alot easier and less of a shock then tryin to pick them out of there keepers hopfuly he'll get used to it that way

15. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

Where I buy from sells 25 or 50 crickets (both 2 and 3-week-old) in a small plastic container with cricket feed (a blue gel-like substance), and some small, hard food pellets separated by a four-way cardboard divider. I personally like to put in a small hunk of carrot which will act as a moisture and food source. There is a small hole in the lid which is covered by some sticky tape and can be pulled back for easy access to the crickets with the help of fine-point forceps (tweezers) to grab the crickets. I havn't had any escape through the opening while I have been fishing around trying to grab a cricket yet. I suppose you could fashion your own, just be sure to poke some air holes in the top and sides with a pin or very small nail for ventilation. Good luck!

16. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Not all of them are fortunate to have access to Crickets Unlimited for their feeders. I think they are Alberta based, maybe I'm wrong and they are everywhere! However, I tend to use tweezers; it honed my skills as I used to catch them in an ice cream bucket.

17. EWom

EWom Member

I've tried the "hides" to attract them, but got tired of it, now I just reach in and grab em :) Mainly because I like to hand feed, so it's a pain to get one at a time from a hide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.