This Disappears When Logged In

How to buy frogs

Discussion in 'Poison Dart Frogs' started by Siould, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Siould

Siould New Member

Howdy fellow dart frog lovers! I've decided I want to get some Bumble Bee Dart Frogs. But, I don't know where or how to buy them. I've looked in some pet stores and haven't found any. How many can I put in one cage and how big of cage should I get? I know I should use an aquarium and was thinking maybe a 20 gallon or bigger. I've seen 20 gallons and they are pretty long, but they don't have a lot of depth to them. Is there anything that is more square, but maybe a bit longer than it is deep? I want to create a really cool habitat for the frogs. If I could find somebody who sells and/or breeds them, it may be easier to talk to them about care. Could I put a half dozen in a 20 gallon? That is probably the size I want to get. I don't want anything too huge, but not too small either. What plants do I put in there and what substrate should I use? It can't contain coconut, as my wife is deathly allergic to coconut and if she was to breathe in any of the substrate dust, it would probably kill her. Would regular organic soil work? I have a lot of questions, as this will be my first frog. Oh, I have had toads before, but I think they are very different. I just kept my toads in 10 gallon aquariums with substrate and a water dish and they were happy. We now want to get a nice setup that is pretty to look at. It's important that it could be the centerpiece of the living room. Yeah, I actually want the terrarium to be a centerpiece. Joann, my wife, thinks it would be better to have something natural like this instead of a television. People are too obsessed with electronics nowadays and I guess we don't want our children growing up glued to a machine. I think I have provided more than enough information. I need a lot of help when it comes to poison dart frogs, as I'm a newbie. Like, I don't even know where or how to buy frogs! It's not like I haven't looked. What is the best place to buy Bumble Bee Dart Frogs? It's got to be within driving distance of Stockton, CA. Sorry for my post being so long. Cause I just want to be thorough. Anyway, if you could help me out with my frog issue, that would be great!

2. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

The best way to buy dart frogs is in person from a reputable breeder. Check for reptile expos in your area. Joshs frogs and LLL reptile also have good selection but at this time of year it might not be a good idea to ship animals. A twenty gallon can only fit one dart frog without problems. A 30 gallon for two or three and 40 gallons for four or five. Bromeliads are the most popular plants for darts. In my tank I also have ferns and orchids. Dracaena, Pothos and Philodendron are also good plants. Unlike almost every other type of frog, dart frogs do not need a water dish if the humidity is high enough. Speaking of hunidity, it should be in the 90-100% range. Here is my tank. Usually when the tank is first done it looks horrible but when the plants grow in they make any tank look like a masterpiece so try not to overcrowd with plants

Attached Files: