This Disappears When Logged In

How to breed frogs

Discussion in 'Horned Frogs' started by Siould, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Siould

Siould New Member

My daughter has two Pyxie Frogs that she wants to breed. How do we go about doing that? One is about 3 pounds and the other is about 4, so we are pretty sure they are male and female. They are both living in a 20 gallon aquarium. We keep their habitat at 80 degrees during the day and drop it to 65 at night. We have given them a large feeder/pool in hopes of them breeding. We feed them crickets. We don't handle them at all. My daughter, 9, mostly cares for them. They were classroom pets until they got too big and the teacher wanted to get rid of them. So, how can we get baby Pyxie Frogs? Is it possible that the female just doesn't like the male? I thought she would lay eggs in the pool we provided, but maybe she doesn't like it. Will they both take care of the eggs, just one of them or will they just leave them to be? The pool I have is about 4 inches across and I'm thinking maybe its just not big enough. We don't have a bigger water dish. Once she lays eggs, how long does it take for them to hatch? How long will it take them to turn into frogs? Will I remove them before they become frogs or after? Are we not feeding them a good diet? We use to give them earthworms, but crickets are cheaper and we stopped feeding earthworms. Should we start giving earthworms again? Our local pet store also sells waxworms. Can we feed them those? Can we give them live pinkie mice? Or fuzzy mice?

2. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Don't know a whole lot about breeding but you have to put the frogs through a dry period. Feed them very well for a couple weeks then reduce humidity and water level. After a few weeks increase the humidity and water level to normal and feed them a ton for a few weeks. Then make a rain chamber to simulate the wet season and hopefully you might get eggs. This is very vague so definitely get more input before you try anything