This Disappears When Logged In

How to Breed Ball Pythons

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Sav, Aug 21, 2012.

1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You just asked if you could breed a mother with its son....no offence and I'm really not trying to be rude but it does not seem like you have educated yourself at all about genetics or anything other then how much money you will make and how cheap you can get a snake. Naturally I am concerned.

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

mshrmheadcharge, he is asking us for advice, so even if he does not have much knowledge, he has us to teach him. :)

3. Sav

Sav Elite Member

it was a simple question anything i read about genetics was about the formula for co- dominate, dominate, and ressessive traits nothing about the harm in innerbreeding. its prettty much common sence that it can have a negative affect all i was wondering is how common it is in snake breeding. i know its been done and done successfully just wanted some feedback on it. mabe should have worded my question better. and again i dont need my motives called into question i know why i want to do this thats all that matters. all i wanted was tips and a break down on temperature and incubation not to be told i shouldnt do it or not educated enough to do it. especaially after devoting as much time as i have researching this.

is there alot i dont know? probally im sure but nobody knows everything. you just learn as much as you can to make the responsible desiccion on if you think this is a good idea for you or not. i have no intensions on being talked out of it. just wanted some good feedback on tips to make this a better success

just wanted to know other peoples methods that worked for them other then just text book breeding

4. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Hey there, I apologize if that’s what you are getting out of this. Believe me that’s the last thing we want to do. Essentially the goal here is to make sure that you are ready for this adventure. From the looks of it you seem pretty determined. So all I can do is say I wish you the best of luck!!!

When it comes to breeding brother to sister, father to daughter, or mother to son you are essentially “Line Breeding” Breeders who do this are usually trying to isolate a specific mutation or are trying to prove out the genetics on new projects (Dinker Projects.)

What exactly do you want to know as far as tempts and incubation goes?

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not trying to dissuade you...I just don't want you to start something on an impulse. Sorry if it seems I am short with you, it's not the case,I just have a five month old and not tons of free time.

6. Sav

Sav Elite Member

Yea I got a 18 month son and one on the way and I'm not the one to say I'm going to do something and not pull through its not a good example to set for my sons. This isn't impulse very well thought out and something I like to start and have my kids follow my footsteps and my examples. Teaching them how important dedication is, is very important to me. So for them alone I wouldn't go into this half stepping

7. Sav

Sav Elite Member

I know what temps should be to introduce mating season but what is the best for controlling temp. My idea was a dimmer hooked up to heat lamp and use a temp gun to control heat. What's a good incubator that's affordable. And how do you fight the room temp variable. Do you keep your daytime temps normal or do you drop them too. Some people say they do some dont

8. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

I’m going to be real honest with you, although some people may or may not agree with my methods this method worked for me and has been working for my mentors ever since they started working with these pythons. When it comes to temperatures, I did not do a single thing, I left everything the way it is. The only time I dropped the tempt was during the last few weeks before my females laid their eggs and that was only 2 to 4 degrees.
    As far as tempts ago, I keep my tempts running the same throughout the year at a steady 92 degrees on the hot side and 78 degrees on the cool side.

Now, as for incubators... I made mine; it's a small fridge at the most it holds 3 separate 6qt tubs
    All I did was, gut out the inside and outside, place a giant strip of heat tape on the inside, load up the first level with bottles of water, and then rig the thermostat. And make sure the heat stays at a steady tempt. Surprisingly enough from day one of the egg incubation till the last hatchling, all of my tempts stayed at an amazing 89.5 degrees. In my honest opinion, I would rather uses a homemade incubator rather than one of those fancy incubators, I'm not saying that the fancy one's are bad I'm simply saying that if my home made incubator stops working I know it's one of only two things that I can simply replace.

9. Sav

Sav Elite Member

That's a pretty good idea for an incubator. So all you do is just introduce your male to female and let nature take its course? I've herd of people doing that successfully. What's your normal night time temp?

You can do the same thing with a cooler cant you