This Disappears When Logged In

How to Breed Ball Pythons

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Sav, Aug 21, 2012.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

Weight is more important than age (again, can't help with specifics here). Typically males will be ready to breed after their first year, and females after their second or third year.

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

like said earlier, it is best to start breeding with a morph not commonly avalable in your area, just so that there is a demand for what you are breeding.

Markus Jayne, Ball pythons | ballpython.ca hope this helped. again, if i were you, i would just invest the extra few hundred on a morph like a spider, or even a expensive morph like a pied or leucistic.

also, the rack will take up lots of space, so unless you happen to have a extra room handy, i would start moving furniture :p

3. Sav

Sav Elite Member

can you get a female up to 1500 grams in a year, year and a half?

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Maybe you should buy adults and not rush a hatching into growing at the pace you desire.

5. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

don't try it. it is never good to try to accelerate the growth of an animal, and all kinds of problems will arise from that, plus if you offer food that often the snake will get stressed out and may stop eating. not that the python will eat that much, but i would either buy an adult or just wait if i were you. i would wait, personally, so that you have plenty of time to do research and talk to breeders, and decide if you are really up to the task.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

I won't say it can't be done, but I WILL say it can't be healthy.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

If you power feed her and don't care about her health sure! Go for it!

Remeber that 1500+ grams needs to be muscle not fat! A fatty snake is going to have a hard time passing eggs. Last thing you need is to get an egg bound female.

8. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

not to mention the kindney faliure that all the extra mouse-nutrients would cause....

9. Sav

Sav Elite Member

helped alot thanks.

is there a problem with inner breeding ball pythons?
    say a mother to a child in the next year or two after first clutch?

10. mshrmheadcharge

You should do independent research...

11. Sav

Sav Elite Member

yea i am but asking from other members can always helps especialy if you find someone that has alot of experience with breeding

12. justor

justor Elite Member

The simple answer to that is yes. But it does happen sometimes. I would not recommend it though.

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Here's the thing. I think a lot of people have said a lot of good stuff, but you'll notice that everyone is also looking out for the snakes. No one here will tell you not to breed because then our hobby wouldn't be here. I myself would love the opportuniyt to do so one day. I think what people want you to realize is that you need more knowledge of the animal before you take that last step.

I don't know what you're experience is, but I do know that try to feed babies for the first time is a huge pain sometimes and you have to know what you're up against. Balls can also go off feed and it can become stressful, let alone with hatchlings. Aquiring babies would be a good way to start because raising them can give you the experience you may need later. Don't power feed them please, raise a healthy snake and you'll have healthy babies.

There are too many unwanted snakes all over the place that are ill cared for and dumped on other people. The majority of those are normals.... just something to think about. You can look on faunaclassifieds to see how people are giving them away if you buy something else from them. Not much of a market for them if you're looking to make any money back....

14. justor

justor Elite Member

A good point to consider. Most people aren't going to dish out several hundred bucks on something they don't plan on taking good care of, but a $35 snake from the pet store is a different story. They are often purchased on impulse by people who don't know the first thing about the snake. Expensive morphs on the other hand will typically be purchased by serious breeders and hobbyists who know what they're doing, so you can rest easy knowing the snakes you brought into this world are not wasting away in some teenagers 10 gallon tank.

15. Sav

Sav Elite Member

Yea thats a really good point I've just starred talking to my brother about some cheaper morphs I found an albino for $350 which sounds pretty cheap to me

And they have 100% het males for $100 doesn't sound to bad to me

16. Poison

Poison Elite Member

het for what?

17. mshrmheadcharge

You seem more interested in money then anything else. How old are you? What is your level of experience with reptiles, let alone ball pythons?

18. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Hey there, I might as well chime in. I have been fortunate enough to have bred leopard geckos, African fat tails, and ball pythons and currently working on a secret Hognose project. Everything everyone has mentioned on this thread is dead on accurate, breeding anything shouldn’t be something simply done for the finance aspect. As you stated, you are doing this simply for the hobby and enjoyment of the species which is the way to go. However, just remember your are going to have to invest quite a bit of money on just the material aspect of your projects (Racks, (adult and hatchling) bowls, substrate, heating, thermostat, incubator, thermometers etc.) and then you need your snakes( based on what I’ve read you are breeding normal’s may I suggest investing a couple of extra dollars and get yourself a nice pastel male or spider male which should run you somewhere around 50-100 dollars, Believe me normal’s are almost impossible to sell, unless it’s a normal female with a couple thousand grams on her. I know an individual (whose name shall not be mentioned) that feeds his deformed and normal’s male to his Indigo Snake and I also know of another individual who feeds all his normal ball pythons to his cobras. . It’s barbaric and plain wrong but it goes to show how hard it is to sell of normal’s even at wholesale price which is anywhere from 5-10 dollars. So, if you plan on selling your hatchlings then I recommend you invest in a morph.

I started working with ball pythons little over a year now, I purchased my 1st male which is a beautiful Bumble Bee, and then I purchased 2 giant beautiful females both weighted somewhere in the 1900 grams range, both female laid their clutches and both clutches had a 100% hatch rate. Mind you in both clutches I was fortunate enough to produce Spiders, Pastels, Bees and only 2 female normal’s. And even with those odds the only one that sold immediately was the male Bee, It took allot advertising on FB and allot of networking to sell of all of the first clutch and the normal females.

If you truly are serious about breeding Bp’s then I highly recommend you do research, Dee and I researched ball pythons for over a year not to mention Dee had her mentor and I had my mentor and even with all that we were still not ready.
    As indicated by Joey G, due to the fact that we are unaware what your level of experience is in regards to feeding baby snakes, let me tell you based on my experience it’s a hassle!!! At the moment I have one baby female who hatched out 5 weeks ago who still hasn’t eaten, she continues to refuse meals and assist feeding is not working on her. So now it has become a pretty big situation so Dee and I are very close to calling in our vet.

Although, your answers haven’t truly been answered, we just want to make sure that you are 100% sure of what you are doing.

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

The voice of reason :)

20. Sav

Sav Elite Member

yea ive been looking into this for a while now. and ive been around ball pytons and burmese pythons and retics for over 10 years now. dont have anything but a sav right now. but looking to get back into the hobby. like i said before the money is nice if its availible but my main objective is just for the fun of it. if i wasnt serious about this i wouldnt even be thinking about doing it. im 26 and been dreaming of doing this since i was 16. At 20 i wanted to breed my albino burms but do to living arangements i had to let go of everything. (not by choice) now im older more mature and more comfortable finacially. i mean im not racking in the doe but i make a desent living. this is just something ive always wanted to do. in oct i plan on having a whole basement for this. i know all the equiptment i need and the space i need. and as far as the snakes im thinking about getting an albino female with a het for albino male. ive spent all summer studying genetics. not saying im a wizz but i got the idea of how to predict a clutch in theory. i also have my brother going in with me so i dont have to take on all of the finacial burden.