This Disappears When Logged In

How to Breed Ball Pythons

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Sav, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Sav

Sav Elite Member

Im looking to getting into breeding ball pythons as a hobby. Iwaki wondering if any1 could break it down very simply for me. I already know cost and room needed.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What does Iwaki mean? And any1?
    Not sure I understand ;)

3. Sav

Sav Elite Member

i was wondering if anyone could break ball python breeding down for me.

4. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

well, first up, consider why you want to breed. is it for a love of pythons, or money, or both? are you prepared for a bunch of pythons that may never sell? are you prepared to put down any severeley deformed/sick ones? do you have the time, space, and money to care for a whole clutch of pythons?

i don't breed myself, but it is because of those reasons why i am not breeding anything, at present.

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

i would advise you not to breed normal's not a lot of people want them you may even have to give them away and i know a few people who feed them to there monitors

6. Sav

Sav Elite Member

its for both but i know theres no money to be made for years to come its just a new hobby i want to pick up. and wouldnt mind doing it for the passion alone but working my way up to make a living at it would be my dream. no problem with caring for a full clutch which is why i picked ball pythons to breed. (smaller pythons, smaller clutch) i also have my brother going in with me. and were only starting off with 1 male and 1 female and seeing where it leads us. as far as putting a sick snake down, its always sad to do but in the best intrest of the animal i do what i have to do. i dont really think ill have a problem getting rid of the snakes considering the resources, plus im breeding normals which are very inexpensive. but if they didnt sell right away i dont mind sitting on them and caring for them as long as i need to

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

You get a boy ball python and a girl ball python, add some Barry Manalo, wine, lobster dinner, candle light etc!
    Haha
    First step learn and understand the genetics(To me this is 100% the most important first step.) You should be able to predict the outcome of your clutches. You need to be able to understand the differences between terms like Dominant, Co-dominant, recessive, heterozygous, homozygous etc.
    Make a breeding goal. "To make lots of Money" Is an unethical and greedy goal.
    Make sure you have room for baby racks(Plus prepair to keep them for a long time if they are slow to sell)
    Make sure there is a market in your area(Go to petshops, shows etc)
    Find out how many breeders are in your area and what they are working with
    Find good breeding stock from other breeders, shipping stock in if need too.
    Make sure you have a stock up of feeders
    Learn the proper sizes, ages ect for your breeding animals, breeding a smaller animal can cause issues!
    Have an emergancy fund built up before you breed. Things like egg bound snakes can set you back $$$.
    Last step is to have fun and love what you do! I have just started breeding cornsnakes and they are my passion!

8. Sav

Sav Elite Member

like i said im not worried about the money part as far as selling them. if i can get $20 a piece for them or even a little less im still happy as long as i know i got the chance to do what i love and always wanted to do.

i know what it takes as far as the room, caring, feeding, houseing, etc. just get confussed about the temp drop period, how to introduce the male how long to let them mate so on and so on

9. justor

justor Elite Member

Barry Manalo? Wine and lobster? CANDLES!?
    I had no idea snakes were as high maintenance as human ladies! ;)

10. Sav

Sav Elite Member

like i said im doing it for fun and passion of doing it. like i said b4 if possible making a living out of something you love can never be a bad thing. i just know it takes alot of work and im willing to give it a shot. if it doesnt work out i can always say i did it

11. Poison

Poison Elite Member

there really is no profit in breeding reptiles in fact you lose money but like you said its for the passion and thats what matters :)

12. justor

justor Elite Member

I think someone touched on this in an earlier post, but if you want to stand a decent chance of making a living you gotta go with morphs. The costs associated with breeding normals are going to BY FAR outweigh the amount you bring in by selling them. You could start with two common low-end morphs like a pastel and a cinnamon or a spider or something (so many options!), and the offspring will be worth much more especially if you get lucky enough to combine your two genes into a single snake. And you'll still likely get some normals out of that kind of clutch...

If you're going to make the investment to get started you might as well drop $100 or so each on some decent snakes. You can find quite a few hatchling single gene morphs for between 100-200 bucks. Down the road you could start looking into multiple gene breeders and that's where the real potential is. Tripple gene morphs typically go for at least $1000 if not way more depending on rarity and demand. Producing those will really help offset the costs of running your program.

13. Sav

Sav Elite Member

i dont believe that. it can be done guys like bob clark, bhb, lllreptile and thousands of others do it everyday. they did something right. you just got to be willing to invest the time money and energy into it. not saying its not hard and most people dont fail doing it, but as long as you love doing it you can never go wrong. i have a full time job as in construction and im not looking to retire and go breed snakes for a living but come on it would be an awsome profession

14. justor

justor Elite Member

If nobody was making any money this industry would have died out a long time ago... But for the most part I agree that unless you are a large scale breeder the chances of profiting are quite slim.

15. Poison

Poison Elite Member

most of them breed big morphs and some sell products and feeders thats where the real money is

16. Sav

Sav Elite Member

im only breeding the normals cause there cheaper even as adults ready to go this year. and i dont want to invest money until i know i can do it and produce a excellent clutch. then ill work my way up to morphs from the cheaper morphs to the more expensive double and triple morphs. my real passion would be to breed retics and burms, but they get too big they need too much and as of right now theres no chance of even moving burms due to the new laws. im from philly and its even hard for me to get one right now. no respectable breeder wants to ship one to you. i mean for good reason but it just sucks for someone that has a great love for the burmese python to see whats happening to it

17. Poison

Poison Elite Member

balls are a great place to start :)

18. Sav

Sav Elite Member

yea i agree with both of you all im saying is it can be done. and theres always ways to work yourself up the ladder. might take alot longer but for someone that isnt made of money its really the only way to do it.

i still am looking for someone with experience to break the process down to me on how to get them to mate, how to incubate, can 1 on 1 produce a nice clutch so on and so on

and if i was to buy hatchlings male and female how long does it take to get them to breeding size

19. justor

justor Elite Member

Wish I could help with specifics, but I have zero experience with breeding anything. Some breeders will have caresheets on their websites which may include breeding information. I would try looking for some of those.

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Atleast 3 years for the female you want her atleast 1500 grams before she breeds. Bigger is always better!