This Disappears When Logged In

How Strong Are They?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Wyldrose, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I found the Lizard-landscapes.com page and they make herp furnature out of styrofoam and grout. I love the idea and stayed up to 1am watching their videos!! LOL
    So Today I want to buy some styrofoam and play around a bit, just make some small hides/decorations too see how it goes. I am thinking of putting hermit crabs in my 44gal tank and I wonder if the grout is strong enough for them, they will pick at it. I was thinking if grout is too easy for them to break off I can use cement instead.

Any ideas? I suppose I can coat the hermit crabs hides and background with a few extra layers of grout too make it less likely for them too pinch some off.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

You want to seal the structures after they have been grouted so that it doesn't chip off. If constructed properly they can hold quite a bit of weight... no way a hermit crab (or a bunch of hermit crabs even) could be too heavy for it unless it's poorly constructed.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They are pretty sturdy, the only thing that I have noticed is it mentions using modge podge as a sealer, which is fine when its a dry location! If you are planning on using it in a humid environment then I would suggest using a waterproof sealer. Modge Podge is basically white glue!

4. justor

justor Elite Member

there is a section on that site that shows how to make like a waterfall and other high-humidity furniture. That section mentions the exact waterproof sealer they use if I remember correctly.

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I bought some styrofoam, caulking and some grout to play around with today. I didnt get any sealers yet I have to like it before I seal it lol!
    I will see what I can find I know anything food safe would be the best to use, if it's safe for us to eat off then its pet safe.

Edit: Is grout toxic?

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Grout isn't toxic, but some caulk are, stay away from ones that are mold and mildew resistant.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I posted this idea on a hermit crab forum and according to them grout and all sealers are toxic and that styrofoam is bad(way to ruin my dream eh?). But I am going too make it for both the beardie and hermit crabs. We eat off counter tops that are made with tile and grout and I am still alive :) Pretty much every product sold in the USA and Canada have to meet high regulations about toxity. Heck even our newsprint is all made with no toxic dyes now.

I do know about the caulk that is mildew resistant is toxic, so I made sure it was the safe kind. Going to play around tonight and maybe make some small hides for some hermies too play around before I go big!

8. justor

justor Elite Member

Here's the thing... even if grout were toxic, and even if styrofoam were bad, They would be completely sealed off and the toxicity of the materials would be of no consiquence as they are completely inaccessable to your crabs. You could put a vile of cyanide in their tank and as long as they can't get to whats inside it poses no danger. Some sealants are definitely toxic, but as long as you get a safe one then everything should be fine.

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

See that is what I was saying too, there are plenty non-toxic sealers out there. I have the hermit crab back ground made, started on the beardies castle. Then I sliced open my pinky finger spent 3 hours in the ER to get 3 stiches! LOL

10. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

white latex drylok and minwax polycrylic are two tried-and-true safe water proof sealants that I use.

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I know the Home depot here sells the miniwax polysrylic so I will grab that. I am an x homedepot employee lol!

The hermit crab corner tank back ground has 1 coat of grout and I think it's dry enough for the 2nd :)
    before grout:

001-13.jpg

Attached Files:

12. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

i had no idea hermit crabs were climbers! lol looks good so far