This Disappears When Logged In

How Old Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by SnakesNCakes, Jun 14, 2015.

1. SnakesNCakes

SnakesNCakes Established Member

I've had Rango for about 4 months now, 40 gallon tank, cool side of about 67-72 warm side 94-98 with a basking of 104-107. Has uvb bulb and eats as many crickets a day as he is willing. I offer greens but he doesn't take him. I was told when I got him he was 3 months so that should make him 7 months but online 7 month old look MUCH bigger. Any ideas of how old he is?

2. SnakesNCakes

SnakesNCakes Established Member

I forgot the pictures haha

Attached Files:

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if the ambient (air) temp is around 98f why is the basking surface temp only 107f? What is the basking object made of and what type of basking bulb are you using, and how many inches/cm is it from the animal?
    You haven`t given the lizard`s size, but he/she does look quite small if 7 months old?

4. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Puff was 4 1/2 inches when he was 4 months old. Rango looks small for 7 months.

5. ClownHC

ClownHC Member

At 7 months, approximately 7 and a half inches makes absolutely no sense, unless subjected to almost criminal neglect.

My dragon is 3 days shy of 4 months old and is 13 and 3/4 inches long, with substantial girth.

My guess is that you either acquired a beardy that was not treated properly or were blatantly lied to about his age.

I would guess that, given proper care, that dragon is no more than 6 to 8 weeks old.

With improper care, I would say that he's around 3 months old.

Here's what you should do. Ensure that the basking area is between 105 and 115 degrees. A rock or other material that conducts heat very well would be ideal to place in said area, if your bulb isn't extremely powerful.

Next, ensure that your dragon's diet is balanced. Pick up a package of Country Greens from your local grocery store. Said packages contain turnip, mustard and collard greens, which are all great sources of vegetable based nutrition. Acquire a banana squash. Chop the greens up into small bits and make sure the banana squash is of a size easy enough for the dragon to chew and swallow. You can also include small shreds of bell pepper in the salad, because they seem to respond well to bright colors.

If, after a day, your dragon is still uninterested in its vegetables, acquire a pack of small superworms. Ensure that they are alive and well. You can get these at your local PetCo or PetSmart. Drop the worms into the salad.

Dragons are attracted to moving prey. Dropping the worms into the salad directly will make the beardy accidentally eat some greens. The ideal outcome is that your dragon discovers that greens are delicious, and he should gobble it up on its own if that is the result.

Always include the worms in his salad until he is of adult size.

Next, when you feed him his crickets, make sure that at least one helping of them is dusted with ReptiCal, also known as Calcium and D3 powder. He should receive a good amount of this supplement at least once a day during his baby, juvenile and young adult stages.

Once a week, double dust a helping of crickets with ReptiCal and Herptivite. This will ensure that he is ingesting much needed nutrients throughout his growth. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

You should be feeding him 2 times a day, at least. 3 is ideal if you want to get his growth up to par. ONLY IN GROWING AGE, THOUGH. His diet and daily routine will change once he becomes an adult.

Bathe him 2 or 3 times a week, letting him soak in warm water. Obtain a reptile mister or small squirt bottle and mist him 2 times a day.

Also, you MUST. MUST, make sure that his biorhythm is consistent. Beardies are insanely sensitive to changes in temperature or daily routine. His heat and UV lights should turn on at the same time every day, be left on for 14 hours, and turned off at the beginning of his night cycle, which should last 10 hours.

If you do all of these things, you should see a large growth spurt from your dragon within the next couple of weeks.

As a side note, ALWAYS obtain a reptile from a trusted and well established breeder. Pet Stores are in the game for profit, and profit alone.

One more thing. Do not use sand as a substrate for your beardy. Use reptile carpet or newspaper. Sand ingestion can lead to gut impaction in young dragons, and ultimately, death. Better safe than sorry.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us updated. We are all interested in your beardy's proper growth and being happy and healthy.

6. ClownHC

ClownHC Member

Sorry, one more thing. Here's a good daily feeding routine.

Lights on.
    20 minutes later, chop fresh salad. Put it in the enclosure. Drop superworms into it. Ensure that the superworms are not covered in the substrate they come in.

4 or 5 hours later, clear out his enlcosure and offer him 10 dusted crickets. Dropping them in 1 at a time is a good technique. I've had better success doing that than dumping all at once.

After the dusted crickets are consumed, continue feeding undusted crickets for 15 minutes. Make sure he'll still eat, even if he isn't running across the enclosure for them. I've found that my beardy gets lazy, but will still eat crickets within 2 or 3 inches of his face.

After 15 minutes, let him relax for 5 minutes. Offer more crickets.

After 5 minutes, clear out the crickets and put them back into their habitat. You should obtain one from your local pet store.

Then, put the dragon's enclosure decor back in, preferably in the same positions as they were before, and let him digest and love life.

Side note: your crickets should be gutloaded. A decent method of doing so is placing Fluker's Nutritional Cubes into their habitat, along with Fluker's Water Cubes. You can also put leftovers from your dragon's salad into it. Crickets will basically eat anything. Keep in mind, what you feed your crickets is what you feed you dragon, based on the transitive property.

About 5 or 6 hours later, offer a third feed. You can dust the first round of crickets if you want to, however it's not completely necessary. Follow the same feeding procedures as above.

14 hours after you turned on the lights, begin his night cycle and get ready for your next day of providing your companion with top notch care.

7. ClownHC

ClownHC Member

Sorry, one more thing. Growing/juvenile/young adult dragons can eat up to 50 crickets a day. My boy eats about 20 small superworms, all of his salad, and around 60-80 crickets each day.

The crickets are medium size (I'd say about 2/3 inch).

In short, feed the poop out of it. xD