This Disappears When Logged In

How Old Do You Think He Is?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Herpetrator, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Herpetrator

Herpetrator Active Member

Hi there,

I usually just lurk for good info, but we recently acquired a 3/4 Carpet 1/4 Diamond baby at a recent Expo. We went with no intention of bringing home anything but maybe some supplies, but my bf was enamored with this little guy and decided to buy him. We were so exited we forgot to ask about his age. I had to do some quick research as we were totally unprepared..but what can ya do? Its an addiction I guess.

So I've loaded up and am continuing to load up on information about these guys, but I can't really estimate his age. I thought maybe someone here could guestimate for me. I'm 5'6" for reference.

DSC04935_zpsa3347e24.jpg

DSC04936_zpse3ebe6c8.jpg

DSC04954_zps67b11ad8.jpg

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you can`t guess their age by size, it depends mainly on conditions they`ve been kept in and ammount of food, and to be honest you being 5 feet 6 inches tall sitting down with the snake wrapped around your arm gives very little indication of size (of either of you), but I don`t doubt you are the height you say you are!! ;)

3. Herpetrator

Hmm..yeah I've read that conditions do make a difference. I just wished I had asked..the vendor was military and he shipped out. >.<

4. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

Can you find the breeder again to inquire about the age? Many expos have a listing of vendors attending the event online, that may help jump start your search.

5. Herpetrator

Nope, he's gone away to the party in the desert. >.> I was able to get photos of the parents though. That's about it. :/

6. justor

justor Elite Member

I am assuming it is an early 2012 hatchling. It's got some size to it so it must have been hatched relatively early this year, and was probably well fed - most carpets hatch out in early-mid summer. If it were a 2011 it should be coloring up more than it has at this point. It still has it's baby colors.

For reference here is my coastal female. She was hatched in June of 2011. These pics are a few months old, but she's about three feet long here.
    57904f42.jpg
    5f71fbd0.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Herpetrator

Beautiful coastal :)

Alright, that's a start! I'm exited to see how he turns out. I wonder when he will start to color up a bit... I honestly knew nothing about carpet pythons much when I bought him, spare the quick run down from the vendor. He mentioned the color changes but when I did some research, -wow. Gorgeous. Of course I don't assume he'll turn out anything like those trophy snakes. My favorite part about him are bullseye spots and spunky attitude.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, thank you for the information and pics. (I love pics.)
    Just for fun his parents:
    jcp parent 2.jpg jcp parent 1.jpg