This Disappears When Logged In

How Often To Replace Sand?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by StalkingDeath, Oct 13, 2012.

1. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

I got some Repti Sand for him (I must say I love it. It has very fine, small grains and it isnt dusty at all) yesterday and now I just wonder how often do I need to replace it.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I replace all substrate once a month in my cages that don't have bio active substrates. But is it the calcium sand that you have because I heard that's bad...don't remember why...

3. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

I would actually get rid of it right now. It's a unsafe product, go with washed children's playsand..

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Can you state why it's unsafe though?

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Repti sand aka calcium sand is a lot like clumping cat litter, so if he accidently injests it it will clump in his belly. Also it can and will stick to any wet bits, ie the vent area and mouth if he's a messy drinker.
    Playsand is $5 a 50lb bag and has very little risks compaired to calci/repti sand.

Spot clean and replace it all when it starts to smell, or monthly.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok thought it was something like that. I don't worry about it as I just get sand during sand duning season.

7. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

I dont feed him inside the cage so it wont be like he is ingesting a whole lot (If any). And I was told by the people on this same exact website I should be able to use sand without problem as long as my KSB is fed in a seperate enclosure.

And plus, wouldnt playsand have the same exact problem as Repti Sand which isnt calcium sand (Or as far as I read it isnt. It is quartz based so I dont know what that means)? Wouldnt it clump if ingested and cause a whole bunch of problems as well as have quite a bit of dust from what I have heard.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's true if fed seperate it isn't like with iggies where your ksb licks his cage randomly.

9. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I do know that I bought the brown vitasand for my desert and sulcata tortoise enclosures then when I put the sulcatas in a temp enclosure that had towels I saw exactly how much sand they had eaten. For a week their stools had mostly sand in it. So now I use sand dune sand or ground moss as it seems to pass through easier. But then I feed in the cages.

11. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

I just find it easier to monitor their feeding habits and behaviors outside the enlcosure then in. And now that I have sand, there is just another reason for me to do so.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I can see that with the snakes. I would like to get to the point with at least one of my lizards where they can sit at the table and I would hand feed them. I do this with my desert tortoise but so far that's it.
    I don't think it would be a smart idea to have snakes eat out of your hand.

13. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

Nope, it wouldnt be intelligent. Especially considering almost every time he misses the f/t mouse and latches onto my feeding thongs.