This Disappears When Logged In

How Often Should My Gecko Poop?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Kyrsten, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Kyrsten

Kyrsten Well-Known Member

My gecko seems active and always eats everything he's fed, but he doesn't poop that often. He has an under tank heater I got last week (yay) and a heat bulb that keeps the Tank around 85 degrees. My gecko poops but sometimes there can be four days between his defecations. He's on a mat, so I don't think he's impacted. Can somebody tell me if they're geckos are like this to ?
    Please help~~

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you are feeding daily then they should poop daily. We're you offering belly heat before? If not he could have had some issues digesting and thus not poop as much. If it doesn't become more regular you can try giving a drop of mineral oil to him to help "grease" his insides.

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

My female Leo is fed every second day, and poops about every 2-3 days.
    My male Leo is fed every second day, and goes about every 2-4 days.

It all depends on the gecko. How often is your gecko fed? What is your basking site temp (the floor temp in the warm hide over the heat mat)? It should be around 90-93F to allow for proper digestion. Warm side temps themselves should range from about 85-89F, with cool side temps around 77-80F.

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Same with me.:)

5. Kyrsten

My leo is a 4month old male. I feed him every day and his popping schedule is every 2-4 days I think. I have all the recommended heating and hide areas . I just want to know if my gecko is sick or just poops strange

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Sometimes they have off days too. :)

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it all depends how much they`ve eaten and how fast they digest it, it doesn`t mean the Gecko is sick or "strange" (obviously providing the conditions are suitable).

8. Kyrsten

I usually feed 10 mealworms and 2-4 crickets every day

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

When my leo was a baby she ate 10 crickets a day and anywhere from 20-30 mealworms per day. When she got to 6 months old I started crickets every other day. Now that she is a year old she gets 10 crickets 3 times a week and always has a dish of mealworms.

10. Kyrsten

Good to know, I'll start feeding more, I wasn't really sure how much to feed everyday

11. topdonkey

topdonkey Well-Known Member

If your worried that he's struggling to poop you could help him by giving him a warm bath and gently massage from his chest down to his lower belly, mine loves bath time and has always helped him poop.