This Disappears When Logged In

How Often Should a UVB Light Be Changed?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by LeeLeeCrestee, Feb 9, 2010.

1. LeeLeeCrestee

LeeLeeCrestee Well-Known Member

I have one for my Green Anoles and I am just wondering when it should be replaced. I got the bulb in I want to say August or September of 2009.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi can you tell me the make and other details of the bulb? Thanks!

3. LeeLeeCrestee

It is a Reptisun 2.0 bulb. It is also a coil light.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Every 6 months you should replace that lighting. Go with a 5.0 or better though. Its a good habit to write the date you replace the bulb with a sharpie, on the bulb somewhere.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The Repti-sun 2-0 is good as supplementary lighting as it`s low in UVB, they should be changed every six months or so, some of the spiral bulbs CAN cause eye problems, have you noticed anything like that?

6. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Also, Green Anoles need high UV exposure and the coil-fluorescents are not the best lights for high UV levels.

When you do replace it (and it sounds like it is time), upgrade to better lighting for them. They are diurnal basking lizards and need LOTS of UV exposure to survive and thrive.

7. LeeLeeCrestee

what kind of buld do you guys recommend? i have an exo terra hood..what wattage should i also consider?

her eyes have been fine, she can still see my hand coming toward her to put waxworms in her dish

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Megaray lamps are the best on the market just now, they emmit heat and light, the UVB they produce is close to natural sunlight at the recommended distance, (that distance will depend on wattage). The best way to work out the wattage you need is to put a normal household bulb in and see what temps you get, then order the MR accordingly.

9. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

While most compact lights aren't great, and some have known problems. I've had no problems with the exo terra compacts. I would recommend using a higher output light in most cases but make up of the exo terra cages makes it hard with the plastic railing. 2.0 are good for plants and filling the spectum, you should be using them with a 5.0 or 10.0 based on the cage height and your animals need. I use the 23 watt in my taller cages and they are very well lit with just a 2.0 and 5.0 compact. They recommend replacing the compacts yearly. An with my reader readings I'll near to agree with them. Unlike alot of MV bulb that drop up to 50% by the 6 month mark. I've only seen a 20% loss on the exo terra compacts, though with the lower price of their compacts I normally change mine with in 8-10 months.