This Disappears When Logged In

how often do you feed

Discussion in 'General' started by kcfeeders, Jan 9, 2006.

?

how often do you feed your snakes

1. once a week

33 vote(s)
    86.8%
  2. once every two weeks

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. once every three weeks

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. once a month

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

I'm tring to get an idea how everyone feeds once a week every two weeks
    every three weeks or once a month

2. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Really I would have to say it depends..with a few hundred snakes something always needs fed, we have things feeding on prey from mice pinks to larger rabbits..so depending on the food item that is what determines it as long as we have the necessary prey items in at the time.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

As Amelia said,,,there are alot of variables. In my situation it is roughly a weekly basis with the Corns, now that the Boa is growing and moving to larger prey, he's on a week and 1/2 cycle.

4. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

I feed babys and juvenilles once every 7 days and adults once every 10-14 days.

5. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

We have always fed weekly. All snakes under 5' have been fed on Sat and all snakes over 5' have been fed on Sun.. With over 200 snakes last year (190 breeders) it made feeding so much easier and I found that they were producing so much better and supplying local dealers took care of all feeding costs plus. There were control sheets in the reptile room which listed every snake and what food item they received. Every weekend Becca would get their food together while I was cleaning enclosures.;)

6. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I feed mine once a week. Every 7 days is good for my baby corns but when they've grown a bit I'll probably feed once every week and a half or so. With my ball python (22" long) I offer food 7 days after a feeding and then every day or other day until he eats, I don't know if this is the best way to do it though.

7. venus

venus Founding Member

I feed my corns once a week and my ball pythons tell me when they are going to eat.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I feed all mine on a weekly schedule. If you feed the same day every week you don't have to try to remember whether or not someone has been fed.
    And notes are good too!

9. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

really depends on the age of the snake as well, i have heard of some corn keepers feeding hatchlings every 5 days, yearlings ever 7-11 days and adults every 14 days, so it really depends...

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

As some of the others said it really depends on various factors, so I haven't added a vote..

Most of our younger snakes - boids that are still growing - and all of the Colubrids are fed weekly, generally Sunday is our feeding day.

The older snakes - particularly Boids 3-5+ years old - are fed either fortnightly (every two weeks) or every three weeks.

We keep computer records for every animal we own, so it is easy to note patterns and keep a track of who is feeding and what. From this we know that, for example, one of our Royal pythons - a female, who is still young, will only eat every two weeks so we have stopped offering her food every week. We also have a couple of snakes - namely one of our adult male Royal pythons and our adult male Dumerils boa - who periodically go off feed during winter, last year both for eight months, so over periods like this those who go off feed are tried every few weeks, and eventually they start eating again and are therefore usually fed weekly because they stop eating for so long in the year.

It's quite a process when you have a large number but the record-keeping definitely helps, although we know each of our snakes' tracks anyway.

Manhirwen - I would recommend trying your Royal every two weeks if he doesn't regularly accept food on a weekly basis. This way you will waste a lot less food and give him chance to work up an appetite! How old is s/he? What are you feeding? Boids generally have slower metabolisms than Colubrids and therefore often do better with more time inbetween feeds. (If you take note, Colubrids, in particular those pesty Corns haha, seem to excrete far more than they take in! While boids eat once and visit the toilet once!:p ) Also the food offered can make a big difference - some of our snakes will only eat mice even though they are big enough to eat rats, while some will only eat rats, and others eat whatever goes infront of them, especially if it has five fingers and is warm:D

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i feed my two corns once a week, every saturday. occasionally its every two weeks cuz they don't always want to eat every week. my rosy boa will usually eat once a week during warm weather. he's been off food since september though the pain in the butt! lol. did this too me last year too. :D

12. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

Thanks for your relpies I just wanted to get some idea on how everyone fed
    their snakes thanks everyone

13. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: Where do I begin? How do you manage to have approx. 200 snakes? Where do you keep them all? Do they all need a separate terrarium or do they all crawl over each other in a few terrariums?

How can snakes go for months [in one instance 8 months] without eating? Shouldn't something [i.e. death] happen in a case like that?

How does a ball python tell you that he's going to eat? By taking a mouthful of your leg?!!

And finally, I must say, in heartfelt fashion, what twist of fate gave bitis gabonica the right to live in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, in countryside which bears the touch of God's fingers and where I would move to given a choice of anywhere in the world, while I am stuck in Ontario? :(

Wow there is a lot to learn even in fora that have nothing to do with lizards.
    Allie.

14. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

my corn gets fed every 5days and the boa every 7days

15. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

If the option was up there, I would have chosen every 10 days. My corn and the ball pythons are fed 3 times per month.

16. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

My RTB gets fed every 10 days, my hogg isle boas get fed every 7 days

17. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

..Holy crud. I am starting to feel like a bad parent. I probably should have spent more time researching how often to feed my baby and hearing all these "once a weeks" I'm starting to wonder. Bilboa is 5'4 and I feed him a large rat every three weeks. Is that ok? :eek:

18. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Dont worry Capri....

Some boas will only feed that often...Most of my boas are on an every 2 to 3 week schedule....you could try every 2 weeks to see if he feeds....if not then 3 weeks is fine. As for my other snakes...they vary from every 1 to 3 weeks as well.....it always depends on the age, type, and size of the snake ....good luck....

19. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

Whew... thanks.... I was starting to get a bit scared there.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It will also depend on how big a prey item you are feeding. if you prefer to feed smaler items you can go once a week. With larger prey you can go 10 days to 2 weeks. Or even longer depending on the size of the snake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.