This Disappears When Logged In

How Much to Feed a Froglet

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by aurrasinger, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

I got what I believe to be a Leopard tadpole, and I'm setting up the terrarium for him since his back legs are getting pretty big now.
    I've got everything ready but a food supply. I researched the healthiest bugs to give as feeders, and the silkworm came up as number one most nutritious. I found some eggs on Mulberry Farms, but I plan on making a breeding population so I don't have to buy again.
    So I need some to survive for 2-3months and give them a chance to lay more eggs.
    The question is, how many eggs should I get? The 500 or the 1000? It's only one little frog, so basically how much can it eat?

[​IMG]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: How Much to Feed a Froglet?

I have no idea, because I have no idea how big they are. I will say I go through 1000 crickets a month for 15 frogs. So yeah, I would think 1000 is overkill.

When he comes up, you are going to have to offer super tiny food once he has been out of the water for a week. I use fruit flies until they can graduate to crickets.

3. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

When they hatch they are REALLY tiny, so that shouldn't be a problem, but they get to be about an inch and a half after a little over a month. I'll get the 500 then I think. It's the same price as the 200 and it will let me see what I'll need in the future.

4. schlegelbagel

The tadpole size is deceiving. I'm currently going through Firebelly Toad tads into toadlets, and they toadlets turn into something much smaller than the tadpoles at first. And if you order those eggs, I'm not sure how long it takes for the worms to hatch? I have no idea, I have never bred them.

I would still consider picking up a batch of wingless fruit flies for right when they come out. In fact, I would order the silkworms NOW. Now that the back legs are showing, it won't be much longer until they are out of the water, then from there a week until they are eating.

5. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll order some ASAP. If I order now I'll have to wait to get the eggs until the end of next week, then they hatch within a week. Sounds like a almost perfect time line I guess. My local pet stores don't carry fruit flies, so where can you get those?

6. schlegelbagel

I'm lucky and I have a show once a month to get the fruit flies. I would try calling some mom and pop stores for them, or even see if the place you are getting the silkworms carries them.

7. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

Ok, thanks! I'll start calling around since the online shop doesn't have them. I need about two weeks for all the supplies to get here and get the frog terrarium put together, so do you think it'll need temporary frog digs, or should it be ok until it's all put together? Thanks again!

8. schlegelbagel

Depends on when it comes out of the water and loses its tail. If it is a leopard frog, they are a bit more adapt at water, so as long as you can lower the water level and have some land, you should be OK.

9. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

Ok. I'll get ready just in case, maybe pick up one of those under the bed storage tubs for a temporary setup and poke holes in the lid. I have a little staircase basking thing left over from when my turtles were babies, so I'm glad I kept that, he can use it to rest and stuff I guess. Maybe use one of the old turtle hides as another ramp in the shallow water to rest on and some plastic plants. Thanks!

10. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

He's been a frog now for about three plus weeks. Until now he wouldn't eat the silkworms and would only eat house flies despite everything else I put in there (I got desperate.) I was trying to get him to eat the silkworms, so I put about 14 in 3 days ago because I figured more movement and all. He ate one that day finally, and today there were 0. :eek: Well, he's definitely eating them now :eek:, but how many should I give him a day? He's about 1 1/2in, and the silkworms are about half an inch to an inch right now.

11. schlegelbagel

The silk worms may have felt too big to him. Toss in a few daily. If he eats them right away, toss in a few more.

12. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

Thanks. Right after I posted this I put a couple more in for him, and I went to check again and they were gone. That's about 20 in 48hrs. Poor little guy looks bloated. I think I'll just put one in for the next day or two until he looks more comfortable. Well, at least I don't have to worry about him only eating flies now. Ironically, the flies where bigger than the silkworms at first.

13. schlegelbagel

I'd say do 3 or so a day. He finally probably decided he was hungry!

14. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

Ok, thanks! The not eating much was freaking me out at first to be honest, it didn't seem right. I'm so glad he's finally really eating now. I'll have to keep adjusting the food as they both grow too. He's so cute!

15. schlegelbagel

How long did it take for him to eat? They usually don't eat for a week out of the water. They are too busy absorbing the nutrients from the tail.

16. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

He actually started eating in that first week, but it was a horse fly though I had a ton of different smaller thing in there. I offered him a lot after that too, but the only thing he touched was the flies, and that was maybe 3-4 a week. Then he tried the silkworms.

This is him/her! Sorry it's so blurry, it's from my phone.
    [​IMG]

His home is a 12x12x12 terrarium that I added lots of plants
    [​IMG]

17. schlegelbagel

Cute little thing. Much bigger than my toadlets.

18. aurrasinger

aurrasinger Member

Yeah, I was really surprised how big the little one was when he morphed. And how fast he's growing! Plus how much he ate.... Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.