This Disappears When Logged In

How Many Rocks

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by tuffgi2001, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

I know I have been making many threads, and I apologize for that; but it is nice to finally find some people that have such a love for herps as my self. People that can also help on questions.

How many rocks and what not is it okay to put in with my beardies. I don't have a lot of rocks in at the moment, and want to put more in there. Though I do not want to put too many in there.

Thanks for any help

2. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

Re: How Many Rocks?

Patience is a virtue :p
    Not every member who knows the answer sits on the forum 24/7 watching for topics :p

Personally, I don't know if there is 'good amount' to add.

As for our bearded dragons though...
    one 2ft x 4ft enclosure has a 7"x10" and a 5"x5" rock
    one 2ft x 4ft enclosure has a 10"x10" rock and a 8"x12" rock
    a 2ft x 3ft enclosure had 3 small rocks that were less then 5"x5"
    a 10 gallon tank has a 4"x6" rock

All are less then 1/2" thick pieces of shale that I got from a cliff next to a river in a local park.
    (all the sizes are rough estimates since I don't feel like measuring them)

I see the beardies sitting on the logs in the tanks a lot more often then on the rocks.

3. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Patience indeed. I only posted "anyone" to bump it back to the top of the main page. Figure most people don't go look for questions necessarily but see them on the home page and click the linky.

I have a 55 gallon tank. It is apprx 4'x2'x2'. There is one 8"x5" rock under the basking lamp. One 4'x4' rock, and a small pile to hold up a log in there.

Mine actually seem to like the basking rock the best. They are actually on it right now ;)

Attached Files:

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

We don't mind you making multiple threads, as long as they aren't all the exact same topic...

This is unnecessary. Most people will go to either the today's posts or the new posts pages. We try to keep the site clutter free of noncontributing posts and such.

5. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Fair enough ;)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And you can have as many rocks as you wish. Some people actually use slabs of slate for the entire bottom. As long as the rocks are secured and there is no danger of them falling you can pretty much design how you wish.

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hey Tuffgi what kind of light are you using there?

8. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

I have a UVB light and a heat lamp. The UVB is behind the heat lamp. I need to buy another one as there is only one UVB on the left side and I need one on the right to cover the whole tank. It is only about 2 weeks old as they were in a 18"x18"by18" tank before. The one UVB used to be long enough for the smaller tank.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Look into the mega ray for lighting. It will put any tube UVB bulb to shame and it also produces heat. You will then find them basking in it, soaking up heat and UVB. Plus, it only needs replacing once a year, instead of every 6 months like the tubes.

Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide

Also, be sure your wire mesh top has holes greater than 1/4 inch. If it's smaller, this greatly reduces the amount of UVB going to your herps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.