This Disappears When Logged In

How many days to a poo?

Discussion in 'Childrens Pythons' started by smallgrayfox, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

How many days do you suppose it takes a python hatchling to poo after eating? Ky-Lin was fed last Sunday, and then pooed a couple of days later. Then she got a tiny pinkie on Friday, and I haven't found a poo yet, so I was curious if it can take longer in pythons than in corns, who poo quite on schedule a couple of days after eating... :p

2. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Pythons and other boids have much slower and less predictable bowels than colubrids ;)

3. smallgrayfox

I wondered if that was the case...thank you :) You don't have to wait for a poo before they can eat again, do you?

4. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Not with a juvenile and not for Children's pythons. Some boids that have very slow metabolisms, such as a Dumeril's boa, are sometimes fed based on thier bowel movements because they have a tendency to get too heavy but this method is usually applied to animals that are at least a year old. Most hatchling (or neonate) boids can be safely fed every 5-7 days. Usually people use the shorter 5 day interval until the animal is older then switch to the 7 day interval until the animal is a year old or so. Some people continue the seven day interval but some people use a 10 day interval (or more) depending on the age and species of the animal in question. For example my BIG boa constrictor(5 year old) gets fed 1-3 times a month and my yearling boids (pythons and a boa) usually every ten days. Feeding intervals are also varied if you are trying to breed your animals but you don't have to worry about that just yet ;)

5. smallgrayfox

Thank you so much for your help! It didn't even occur to me that her bowel habits would be different, until everyone but Ky-Lin had pooed "on schedule". I guess I'm learning through experience! I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to feed her since that will be five days since she ate anything last, even though it was just an itty bitty pinkie. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.