This Disappears When Logged In

How Long is a California Desert Tortus Suposed to Hibernate.

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by glassgirl775, May 24, 2013.

1. glassgirl775

glassgirl775 New Member

Some one gave me this tortus last October, and she kinda went into hibernation in November under our bed. She is still there and seems to want to stay there and not come out on her own. My question is how long do they hibernate.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Does this tortoise live in your bedroom or something? How old is it, and what sort of care are you providing for it? Please provide as much detail as possible so we can offer advice.

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I agree with Justor, answering these questions will help us help you. Desert tortoises generally brumate from October/November to March/April depending locale.

4. glassgirl775

glassgirl775 New Member

This female was found on the street near my home. She looks like a Ca. desert tortoise. I will send a picture tomorrow. Since it was
    already cold i was afraid to leave her outside. We live north of Reno, always colder than the city and it's well below freezing at
    night. She was in our yard and came up our handicap ramp, into the house and under our bed on an old piece of carpet. She gradually lost interest in eating but I soaked her lower body a couple of times to prevent dehydration. Now it is warmer, we have
    drug her out from under our bed and put her outside, she was under the sprinkler for about 1hr moving arround and drinking water,
    eating dandaline flowers, romain lettuce and some greens in the yard, then she made a pretty long trip to the back yard and up the ramp at the back door and back under our bed.

We live north of Reno,nv, the temp is always colder by 10 degrees or so. Since she was abandoned last fall Oct 2012 she has stayed under our bed on a piece of carpet. The first couple of days this spring when she was outside she roamed around under a watchful eye drinking, and eating. Now she is back inside. The weather has cooled temporarily but I want to bring her out Sat 4-25 and feed and water her. We have started a burrow as well.

5. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

6. glassgirl775

glassgirl775 New Member

I will look into permit requirements but please understand this tortoise was walking down the street, in danger of being run over.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They brumate whenever the weather tells them to or if you do a major change in their enclosure temperatures. For instance I have 2 CDTs. One-Dozer- hibernated until about late march when I deemed it warm enough for her to go outside now she is awake early mornings and late afternoon only and sleeps most of the day away (this is normal behavior as it helps them combat the heat). But the other one-Bane- didn't hibernate when I first got him as he was underweight. I had bane outside until just recently when his cage got too hot. Now bane is inside but due to me keeping the house colder he is now hibernating.

So in order to stop them from hibernating now you will need to decide is he going to be an outside tortoise or an inside tortoise? (Remember they are native to your area so they can survive outside just fine).

8. justor

justor Elite Member

Are you sure they are native to that area? You would probably know better than I do, but I thought they were only found in southern Nevada. Isn't Reno like up in the mountains?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Desert tortoises are found at the base of mountains in rocky areas as well...they are trying to divide the desert tortoise into 2 subcategories-the California desert tortoise found in lowlands and plateaus and then the mojave desert tortoise found in the higher elevations at the rocky base of mountains but its all one species.

But yes Reno is bit far north for wild tortoises to go on their own but there are large tortoise preserves in that area that have their torts outside year round and they do fine.