This Disappears When Logged In

How fat do they really get?

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Jem_Scout, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I've been eyeing up Blood Pythons for a few weeks now and debating if I should get one. They look awful fat and heavy though. Could you owners of Bloods tell me the way it really is? The websites don't tell you much about their girth or weight.
    Thanks, Jem

2. Todd

Todd Elite Member

They can get to be about 35 to 40 pounds in most cases and measuer 12 to 20 inches in circumference. :) Check out the Blood Python care sheet in our care sheets section as well. :)

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

WOW!! Tons and tons of info that I couldn't find anywhere else! They all sugar-coat stuff just to get you to buy a snake! At least I found out that a Blood isn't the snake for me! :p It always pays to research!
    Thanks Todd!

4. Todd

Todd Elite Member

I had the same problem when looking for info on bloods. That's why I decided to write that caresheet. I agree with you. You'll never regret researching! :)

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Bloods are lovely snakes, and very beautiful, but they are not really the snake for you if you want to be able to handle your snake regularly,. if you need to handle it on your own when it is fully grown,. if you want an easy-to-care-for snake.. a blood isn't suitable to any of these criteria IMO,,. Athena, our malaysian, was Joe's choice of snake, and although I love her to pieces, she is not a snake that i would choose if i was on my own.

The care sheet here is wonderful (i edited it :p ), no I'm joking,, it's so wonderful because Todd spent so much of his time working hard on it and did a great job!

If you want any pics of these beauiful snakes to admire, just ask! Todd and I can supply you with many :p Ok I'll stop teasing now! :D

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Go ahead and TEASE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post a zillion pics!!! I think they are an awesome looking snake! I'll go grab a bib and a bucket.....then I'll be back here to drool over your snakes! LOL

By the way Todd- You should really be proud of that caresheet!! It answered tons of questions that I couldn't find anyplace else. Maybe I should've asked here first and saved me weeks worth of time huh? :p

7. Todd

Todd Elite Member

Rachel and I are proud of it. We wrote it because how hard it is to find good info on bloods.

Attached Files:

8. Bitis Gabonica

Hehe well here's a couple of Athena :p Just to tickle your tastebuds a little :D

Todd, you really shouldn't give me recognition for the blood care sheet - you did all the hard work! And stop posting pics,, you are making me jealous! :p

(Not great pics, we have many more but they need resizing so I will post some more tomorrow.. Jem just for a hint at the size,. Athena is just over a year old and weighs much more than our 3-4 yr old royal pythons!! She is growing, fast! And has a lot of room to go yet,. hmmm we might need a truck to lift her when she is 40lbs :p )

Attached Files:

9. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Thanks for the pictures...can you pass me a towel to wipe off my chin? LOL:p

10. Todd

Todd Elite Member

Black bloods are a smaller locality than say Red bloods, for example. Here's a pic from Pro Exotics of a full grown sumatran black blood python.

Attached Files:

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

HOLY SMOKES!!! Yup, that's a fat snake alright! :p lol

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Who needs barbells to work out!
    Just do the python lift!

13. Bitis Gabonica

Well we just tried weighing Athena, our malaysian, who is now about 16months old. She is approx 3ft in length, and sadly when weighing is a factor, "we tried" is quite literal in the sense that she is too heavy for our scales :p It weighs up to 2.5kg and when we placed her on there it read "error"!!!! :D We will have to borrow my mum's human electric weighing scales instead.

Big blood that Todd!! Oh dear, just to think that in a couple of years we'll have something that big :eek:

14. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

That is an AWESOME snake.... Why do they get so fat? It would seem to me that being so big would make them sluggish and hard to move.

15. Bitis Gabonica

Well, they are ambush predators so they don't need to move about a lot - they stay burrowed under the substrate and attack their prey as it wanders past :p They are very lazy snakes.. an adult needs no where near the room that another species of snake of equal size needs, simply due to the fact that they hardly move!! :D

They are very shy and private snakes, and do better in more private enclosures - Athena's favourite spot is her hide box, which she only just fits in now. To look at her in it you would be amazed that she managed to get in there! :p But she likes the security of feeling all sides against her.

:)

16. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Bit late on this thread, doh!!!

As Todd mentioned the Blacks are a smaller locality....but remember there are exceptions......in the link below there are two black bloods, the smaller of the two is just over 6ft I believe...Click here

Sorry it is a link to another forum....but thought that is was fitting for this topic....I won't be annoyed if it is removed :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.