This Disappears When Logged In

How do you REDUCE humidity?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by replover, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

The terrarium is built right. The humidity is landed on just the right range for my animal. However, there are sometimes a few days that the humidity would go up ABOVE the recommended range. This is occasional and does not warrant drilling extra holes or anything like that, as the thing is glass anyway.

So if the humidity is low, I mist it. If it is too high, what do I do to reduce it?

I'm talking about these once in a while we get a wet week kind of thing. Not a permanent problem that warrants an entire redesign of the habitat. Sort of like the "opposite of misting" if you know what I mean.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How high is it?
    If its too much try placing a fan to blow across the top of the screen. And there are mechanical dehumidifiers.

3. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

If it's an occasional thing and just lasts a few days, I wouldn't worry about it.
    All reptiles should be able to handle it a little more or less humidity than required.

4. replover

replover Elite Member

I don't worry about it, but it just seems that most products and methods are for INCREASING heat or INCREASING humidity. I'm quite frankly stumped as to how to DECREASE heat and still provide daylight night cycles too.

The fan is a good idea. I'll look into getting on. I don't think the mechanical dehumidifiers are workable though as they are big and don't fit into the tank, and if used outside the tank it will decrease humidity for the other cages too which may not be right if you have different species with different needs. The fan seems more localized.

5. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Well this one is really quite simple, there shouldn't be a need to decrease your heat as it sholud be controlled by a stat that is suitable for the heating source you are using...ie a dimming stat for a bulb, a pulse prop stat for a CHE etc....ergo the temps will always be correct.

As for the humidity thing what we tend to do is just create an isolated area of humidity for the snake....ie a humid hide box this way the snake has the option of where to spend its time, it is not humid all of the time in Ghana (I assume we are talking about your BP?).

Hope this helps

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Joe, Anthony is in Hong Kong. I believe he is talking about the climactic humidity there, not just in the enclosure.

7. replover

replover Elite Member

Joe, I dont mean that I used some heat and humidity increasing methods that I didn't control with a thermostat, and went overboard, as a result of these methods. I am talking about the times when the NORMAL heat and humidity here in Hong Kong gets too high as is, without lights, heat pads, CHEs, sprays etc. Just too hot and humid as is in the weather. It can get really hot indoors just without any heating.

It gets like that a few months in the year. Right now were're starting to get like that so there are isolated days of this. I have already turned off all heating at night as the night temps are a little high to begin with.

8. replover

replover Elite Member

Merlin, you're right, I'm talking about the climate, but in so far as it affects my herps. If I can control the heat/humidity in the enclosures, that'd be great. But its getting closer to the time of year when too hot and too humid days will happen more frequently. I can't turn on the air-con when there is no one here as the other family members would kill me for that as it would add a lot to the utility bill,and after all, having an enclosure should allow you to control the enclosure without affecting the other parts of the house, right?

My herp friends tell me they just turn off the heating completely and let be, but then again I don't really agree with a lot they say about caring for herps.

9. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I have paddle tailed newts, and they aren't supposed to be exposed to temps any higher than 75 degrees F. I have the luxery of having my A/C running all day, but during the summer we can only manage to keep the air temp. at 78 degrees F. I have recently found that the use of small computer/muffin/box fans (I'm not exactly sure what they are called but they are obviously multipurpose) to be very usefull in keeping the tank cooler by about 3 degrees. They can be set to blow air into or as an exaust to suck it out of the enclosure which may actually help with your humidity problem.

10. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Ahhh ok, didn't realise sorry Anthony...

In that case with out suggesting Air Conditioning within your house then I really don't know....not a common problem in the UK lol....although we did turn all heating off about two years ago as will had a hot summer...reached about 32°C (90°F) ok not hot by most standards but when all the houses are geared towards cool weather, ie we all have so much insulation in our houses for keeping heat in when it gets warm the heat has no place to go so it gets silly hot inside....

Again sorry got the wrong end of the stick...

11. replover

replover Elite Member

Ssativa,

May I please ask you if you have a pic of your computer/muffin/box fan setup? I think I know the type you're talking about but not entirely sure, and also would like to see how it is set up, whether the air is blowing in each direction etc. etc.

Sounds like something real cool I can use for airflow as well.

12. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

Hi,
    Not being smart or sarcastic, but do you understand the principle behind relative humidity? The only time a fan will work is if you are circulating air between areas of higher and lower humidity and/or temperature. If the surrounding environment has the same RH and temps, nothing will change.

Craig

13. replover

replover Elite Member

Well I don't have a hygrometer outside the enclosure, but since there isn't any water bowls nor soaking tubs or possibly slightly moist substrate I'd think that for many terrariums that are not open air cages that the air outside would be less humid? I do know that for my ball python enclosure, when I turn the air conditioner on in that room, that the humidity decreases by about 5% in the tank, even though its not blowing at it but next to and above it. Worth a try.

14. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

Even though cages are not "open air" there must be an exchange of air or a stagnant environment will occur, allowing mold and mildew etc. to grow. We have to maintain good air circulation for our herps to keep them healthy.

RH (relative humidity) refers to the airs ability to hold moisture at a specific temperature. Think of it like a sponge. If 85 F air has an RH of 80%, the "sponge" is at 80% capacity to hold moisture in suspension. If we drop the temperature, we start squeezing the sponge. The RH goes up and at 100%, liquid water drips from the sponge. This is what the air conditioner is doing as it drops the room temperature. As the liquid water drips off the coils it is discarded. In this manner the RH in the room is lowered, which aids in the cooling process as "dry air" feels cooler than "moist air" and requires less energy to maintain. When the AC is on at our house the RH is generally at around 54% once the house is cooled down. It doesn't matter whether the thermostat is set at 78F or 75F, the RH will stabilized around 54%. Now we have a cage in which we are trying to maintain 80% RH in the hottest part. Air will circulate between the room and the cage. The lower humidity room air is going to suck the moisture out of that cage like a vaccum cleaner.

Now in your situation, the outside air has a higher RH than what you want in the cage. If you can't run the AC then you will need to de-humidify the space.

Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.