This Disappears When Logged In

How Do You Come Up with Your Names?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vitina, Jun 1, 2011.

1. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

The kids & I get names from tv/movie/book characters. We're on a "Red vs Blue" kick right now with the geckos, except my daughter's leo, her breeder named her.

Crested Geckos: Tex, Simmons & then the 3 unexpected babies. Possibly
    Sister,Donut,Church, Wyoming.
    Leopard Geckos: Griff & Pepper (breeder named)
    Ball python: Tiny (my son's idea seeing that he & the snake are both tiny right
    now. )
    Dogs: Lil Man (breeder named) & Ichimaru ("one boy" in japanese)
    Cats: Mr Garibaldi, Sphynx/Deafy (deaf 3 legged cat) and Tucker

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

My son names a huge portion of mine (now that he can talk anyway...he is only four). The ones he named are from Harry Potter and the movie "A Knight's Tale", so we have Harry Potter, Hermione Grainger, William Thatcher, Sir Ulrich von Liechtenstein, Lady Jocylen, and Roland. We also have Buffy the Vampire Slayer names like Angel, Spike & Drusilla. We have Egyptian names like Ramses, Isis, Cleopatra, Caesar, Marc Antony, Imhotep, & Anck su Namun also Neheb-Kau. Movie names: Jaws, Betelgeuse. Greek names: Athena & Eos. We also have Cayenne & Caliente. Then we have normal names like Lucy and Steve Irwin McConley. Those are reptile names. The dogs are Betsy, Lobo and Lexie. Our cat is Clyde. So we really have an eclectic group of names for our animals and don't see any signs of changing.

3. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

My family has a scattered assortment of names for all the pets. From normal names to character names; locations to objects. The reptiles my best friend and I named are Ryuu, Corn Flake, Big Mama, Dizzy, Yoyo, and Farley.
    The amphibians/fish are Brownie, Yoda, Benny, Clyde, CJ, Boyd, Raylan, Bocephus, and Skitz.
    The dogs are Kahlua Dream, Shelby Lynn, Ruby, Harley Quinn, and Denali.
    Horses are Rummy, Whiskey, Jackie D, Nightshade, and Moon Shine.
    Then the doe named Darling.

4. David McConley

I'm a huge BOCEPHUS fan...he is my favorite singer!!! I first heard him at the lake pavilion where we used to swim. The stereo was playing "A Country Boy Can Survive", and I was instantaneously hooked! That is also the first time I heard Eric Clayton singing "Cocaine".

5. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I fell in love with Hank Jr. when he played a surprise appearance at a rodeo back in the 90's. After only 3 songs (including A Country Boy Can Survive) I was hooked.

6. David McConley

Oops! Eric Clayton should read Eric CLAPTON! @#%&* Spell Check!!!!

7. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

I'm an animal communicator, so I get my animal's names directly from them ;)

8. gazjd

gazjd Elite Member

about a week before i got marley me and the missus watched "marley and me" (really good but sad film if you havent seen it) i loved the name and im a huge bob marley fan so it had to be lol

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I just loved that book Marley and Me! And who doesn't like Bob Marley, one of my favourites too!

10. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

i named jabbers after the jabberwocky on alice in wonderland. he lives up to the name.

11. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

lucky. my life would be so much easier if i could just tell jabbers i'm not a panther. :)

12. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

How I named mine varies. My crocodile skink, Marvin I named after my grandfather who passed away the month before I got him. If I can find him a pair of girlfriends, they will be named Payton and Katana, to round off being named after my grandfather, his name being Marvin Payton Swords. And my leopard geckos, Paisley is named so because she has a paisley shape on her back, Lavendar is bacause the end of her tail has a purplish hue, Psycho just because she seems crazy to me, and Romeo was named by his previous owner (apparently had a roommate named Juliet at one time too). My bearded dragon is named Kami, which is Aborigines for prickly lizard, and I thought it fit seeing as beardies are from Australia, and she is a prickly lizard :D And I now also have a black cat named Malachi, which means messenger, and cats, especially black ones, are often seen as messengers and gaurdians of magic. My sister has a Beardie named Dundee from Crocodile Dundee, and a cat named Magnet, because of an M on his forhead, and he is attracted to her room for some reason. We also have two dogs, Jack and Rusty, because we thought Jack was a Jack Russel terrier, he turned out to be a pit mix, and Rusty had a rust colored saddle patch on his back.

13. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hehe, it all seems to depend on the animal. And the type of animal. All of our geckos have cute, silly names, and I think that's a trend that will follow all our geckos. Freckle, Speckle, and Bubba! It's their little dopey smiles, it makes me giggle and think of funny names.

Maru got that name because.. Well actually, i'm not sure, that was nathan's naming job. I think he thought it meant snake in japanese, but it really is only a part of a name (Think the Mc in McDonald) so, lol! It sounds pretty nice though, so it's just a name because we like the sound of it.

Pacman frogs I guess suffer the same fate as geckos, they are too dang cute so they get cute names. They look like fat globs of something, so we named our pacman frog guacamole. We want one of the morphs that has a lot of red on it, so we can name him pico XD

And I was watching Harry Potter the day we got Nagini at the expo LOL :D

I guess most of our animals suffer goofy name syndrome. I can't help it, I talk baby talk to them anyway, so they get little cute nicknames XD I always THINK I'll do a serious one, but nope, nope. Maybe someday. I swear if I ever got a monitor I'd name him fluffy or something ridiculous, it's terrible hehehe

14. reptilequeen

reptilequeen Member

My bearded dragon is Jocko Jr. (JJ) after my gram's beardie, Jocko, whom I love.
    My leopard gecko 's name is Chance because my first gecko was sick and died, so she is my "second chance".
    My african bullfrog is Baby because it's ironic. he will get huge yet have a sweet name.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't know how I name most of them actually. It just kind of happens.

My turtle, Houdini, got his name because he can escape surprising things for such a small turtle. Almost lost him a few times in his early years.

My first BP was named Mors Absinthia - because I liked it. I call her Sin, or Sinthia for short.

My next snake was named Manitou, because that is the ojibway word for "Spirit" - which ended up being altogether too apt. He was born with a defective GI, and died at 3 months of age.

My next snake was named Vladimir, because I like the name, and my BF at the time had a female named Akasha, who we intended to breed (but owing to her temper issues, and Vlad's small size, it isn't going to happen)

My milk snake is "Puff the Magic Chinese Finger Trap" because he ties your hands up until you can't move your fingers, and then when you let your guard down, he'll loosen up and fall all at once and haul away for the nearest hiding spot - fasther than you think he could! sneaky little bugger!

My Other BP is Adrian, named by someone else.

My Indonesian Boa is Lilith, because she has earthy patterns on her.

My Brazilian Rainbow is Peaches (which I just started calling her and it stuck. It was going to be a temporary name until I could think of something I liked better)

My JCP is Alistaire because I like the name. The same reason for naming my Mexican Black King Aislinn.

The cuban tree frog Isabella was named after a song by Mediaeval baebes (Isabella) that was playing when I was chasing her around the house. Her cage-mate, Leopold, just needed a suitably aristocratic name so she wouldn't think he was from a lesser social class ;)

Crackers the Toad was nrought home from a friends house in a box - a club cracker box to be precise.

16. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

I named my first snake Ezra because my mom thinks she remembers some guy in some movie that had a big snake named ezra. It seems to suit her, we call her Ezzie a lot cuz shes just so cute.

I actually named my carpet python before I got her. I looked up aborigines names on the net before the expo and narrowed it down to 4 names, maji fit the best because it means hungry :) she sure lives up to it.

Oliver Sinclair is my crested gecko, he is olive in color, and its a cute name to go w/ his cute little face.

Prince Fa'ad the Dragon is my beardie that i rescued. There was a show (only lasted like half a season) called Running Wilde and the crazy spoiled rich neighbor in the show was named Fa'ad. Since i had to feed him every peice of salad by hand for the first couple days i decided Fa'ad fit haha.

and my cockapoo is Ginger or Gigi, shes light brown in color, not my most creative name.

Also a beta named "the captain"...i thought he would grow to be dignified and proud, instead he has a habit of attacking and biting off his own tail...

i once had a acf named simply Frog...i planned to name him someting else but frog stuck for his entire 13 yr life. Same thing with my first beta, i called him Fish while i tried to think of a better name but Fish just got stuck and thats just who he was.