This Disappears When Logged In

How Do You Come Up with Your Names?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vitina, Jun 1, 2011.

1. waswhatever

waswhatever Active Member

My animals tend to be named after a lot of fictional characters from television and movies or at least inspired by it. For instance our orange tabby is named Orion from Men In Black. Then there are times where a name just comes to me for now rhyme or reason like we had a calico I named, Vegas. I used to have catfish named, Charlie Chaplin. Now I'm just rambling ha.

2. brandon

brandon Elite Member

We have two cats that were born in the same birth sac. They were Mike and Ike but Mike turned out to be a girl so now she is Delilah.

Danzig the Iguana got his name from the Ex lead singer of the Misfits (80's punk band)

3. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

my dog got her name from lady and the tramp! She looked like the tramp but i named her Lady because she was a girl :p i was only 4

4. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

We usually pick names based on what seems to fit the animal.. or whatever comes to mind after trying on a few names.

My Rosy is named Lucy. The guy I got her from originally named her Lucifer, but then found out "he" was a girl. I kept it because it's a sweet name, and she's a sweet snake. :)

My Leo was already named Lazlo when we got him, but my husband loves Hunter Thompson, and Lazlo was his attorney, so we kept the name.

We named our cat Echo because my son thought her markings looked like sound waves. Now we say it's because she can't meow just once, she's always echoing herself. LOL Our last cat was named Seven after she lost two lives in coming to us.

The guppies are all named after Greek gods and goddesses. That started when I got my first blue male and my son named it Poseidon. After that we got Zeus, Vulcan (I know.. he's Roman, but that's close enough) Hera, Thea, Eos, and Blue (we couldn't ever remember her Greek name). Vulcan passed away the other day, so we replaced him with his son and named him Hephaestus.. Looks like the trend is sticking around.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats a new one on me. I don't recall a goddess named "Blue". Do you remember what she is goddess of?

6. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Naming my guys is getting much harder...I still have one more to name. I do always look for a fitting name to the pet!!

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

every animal that comes into my home is named either George or Willis...until I get to know them and their real name comes to me LOL

Just to name a few :

Chloe-boa
    Atilla-Amazon tree boa
    Malikai-yellow throat plated lizard
    Gypsy-ball python
    Dirty Gerty, Willis and crew-emperor scorpions

Chip and Dale-Prairie dogs

8. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

aww prairie dogs would be so cute to have! I want a fennec fox when i get older ;)

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

the boys are adorable, but a pain in the neck at times LOL they make a lot of mess, a lot of noise and require more attention than a toddler!

10. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

wow! That must be interesting!

11. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

She was named after Poseidon's wife, the goddess Amphitrite, but we could never remember it, so she defaulted to Blue because she's blue. :)

12. Ares2010

Ares2010 Active Member

I am a corn snake owner and I have been naming my babies after God and Goddesses... ex: Ares, Aphrodite, Artemis and Athena

13. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Mindy was named after a horse but I found out later her name means Sweet/Honey which is cute since she's honey colored~

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Our snakes (except Monty Python) are all named after Sci Fi Characters from some of our favorite shows (Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape etc)
    Lantash, Selmak (from Stargate) Aeryn, Crichton, Talyn and Crais (from Farscape) Hoshi, Shran (from Star Trek Enterprise) all the baby chondros except Gollum are named after Star Trek DS9 characters

15. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

!!!!! I love Selmak and Lantash! Haha some peope always think of such cool names then I'm like that would be a very cool name but now I can't use it :p I've been wanting to name one of my pets Dartanion but my roommate has already named one of her african dwarf frogs that

16. Bluegill

Bluegill Well-Known Member

I like to name my animals after stuff that's going on around the time that I get them. Here are how all my herps got their names:

Cornflake: I opened a new box of frosted flakes the morning I got him.
    Daisy: The day I adopted her, my friend and I had lunch in a restaurant that featured interesting photos next to each booth. Our booth had a picture of a field of Daisies.
    Jack: Watched a Pirates of the Caribbean movie after I got him.
    Dexter: The new show about the serial killer named Dexter was being advertised.
    Delilah: The song "Hey there Delilah" was playing while I paid for her.

17. Lolita

Lolita Elite Member

i have all sorts of different random names for mine from crixus to big momma to lady to BB i have 21 tarantulas 16 lizards and 14 snakes so i can't list all their names lol mine just goes off stuff i like or random stuff that pops into my head

18. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

i like how you name yours bluegill :)

19. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

I named mine Dimitri after two things.

One was a Zelda reference. In Oracle of Seasons there is a little dragon that Link can ride on that swims in water named Dimitri :)

I also named him after N,N-Dimethyltryptamine or DMT, which in the human brain is what dreams are made out of. It's also thought to be what causes near death experiences (when you see the "white light at the end of the tunnel"). It is also used as a psychedelic, but it's schedule 1 in the US (kind of odd because it's found naturally in the brain). In South America, it is the active component in Ayahuasca.

I also heard that in lizards, DMT acts the same way in their brain as serotonin acts in the human brain.
    (not sure how accurate that is, though!)

:) But I thought it was interesting that lizards may see the world the same way we see dreams.

I'm a science geek XD

20. JoeMasturbaby

JoeMasturbaby Well-Known Member

i like to make up fun names that fit the animal.

1 crested named Jimmy (he just looked like a Jimmy to me)
    1 crested named Pineapple (my girlfriend thought of that one and i loved it)
    1 firebelly toad named Mr. Pickle (he looks like one)
    1 chameleon named Rocko (after Rocko from rocko's modern life. There's 2 characters in the show called the Chameleon Brothers who always do all the artsy things and im an artist and love cartoons and that show, so it fit well)

getting a kitten in a few weeks too, and havnt thought of a name yet.