This Disappears When Logged In

How Do You Come Up with Your Names?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vitina, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

Just curious ^_^ i have a turtle named pebbles. I just thought it fit! lol! I was little :p but with some new snakes i hope to get in the next few years im thinking of going with a theme like tv characters... greek gods... or japanese names!

2. LilyPad

LilyPad Well-Known Member

I usually go with whatever seems to fit them...we have a weird slew of names! My froggy I named Paddy, I wanted to name her Lily but my sister is naming her first daughter Lily! So I didn't really want her associating it with a frog LOL So I went with Paddy instead.

Our cats are Willie, Serj, Mittens, and dog is Zeke. Cool idea to go with a theme though!!

3. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

Those are good ideas. I'm certainly not that inventive, I looked up names with meanings on the net and found one that described my boa's personality and behavior.

4. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

Thats pretty nifty cryssy! Thats like what i was thinking, find a cool japanese word that would describe the animal's personality. And lillypad, i think thats a cool name! Its like a frog version of the name Patty! haha

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

My teenager is the one that picks out the names! :-"

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I too tend to think up things that apply to the animal.
    Sometimes it takes me a bit.
    And it makes my wife crazy!:D

7. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

I find if i pick out a name before i get an animal, i'll end up changing it anyway :p Merlin, your name probly should remind me of magic, but it reminds me of the horse i ride at a barn :p No idea why they named him that though! haha

8. LilyPad

LilyPad Well-Known Member

I am a slow namer too, drives my kids crazy! They are so anxious to pick out names and are throwing out names left and right nonstop until I pick something.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Trust me I have been called MUCH worse!;)
    My male ball python's name IS Magic!

10. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

Its a good system, though, to try a few names on for size before picking the one that fits. I know it probably drove my boyfriend half mad but, thankfully, he's patient :)

11. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I can't name an animal till I have it than it usually takes a couple days an a random word or name comes to me that just seems to fit. If that makes any sense to you.lol

12. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

haha thats basically how i named my turtle :p

13. DWC24

DWC24 Elite Member

i find my names from whatever is running through my mind when i see them. for my skink, i had the book stellaluna out and i already had a kitten that we rescued named luna, so i named my skink Stella. my iguana is named Marlon after Marlon Asher, since his music was playing at the time.

14. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

thats like my friend! when they got a beagle puppy where the red furn grows was out and jimmy buffet was on the radio so they named her little ann and her middle name is buffet but they always call her little ann or B

15. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Iguanasaurus Rex = King of the Iguana lizards.

It evolved over time. LOL

16. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

I go Greek Gods and Japanese names in most cases. Now that more people are doing that I'll probably change up my naming strategy. Who knows what I'll come up with next?

Let's see ...

Apollo - named after Apollo, the God of the sun.
    Kuma - means "bear" in Japanese.
    Nyx - named after Nyx, the Goddess of the night.
    Michiko - means "beauty, wisdom" in Japanese.
    Phoenix - named after the phoenix, fire bird. Not named by me.
    Kami - means "Lord" in Japanese.
    Yasuo - means "shy" in Japanese.
    Robo - named because he is a Roborovski, or a Robo. Named by hubbs.

17. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Haha there is a story behind each of my pets names :p

Benvolio and Mercutio were named such because they well live in a castel in their tank.
    Cathulu because of a card game that I have taken to playing.
    Xena actually started out as xenoplihius but we found out she was a girl and she's my little warrior princess :D
    Saffron was named after a character in the T.V. show firefly.
    Dak and Aldrea were named after the animorph books
    Dufraine was named after Medical officer Dufraine from the popular internet series Red Vs. Blue.
    Mulder and Scully (r.i.p) were name after well.. the x-files.
    My bf named Beast and it seemed to fit.
    Brains kept hiding in a skull we got him as decoration.
    Cuda (barracuda) was named after the coffee shop my bf works at
    Aurora because she's white.
    and possible the funniest story about a name would have to be Adolphs our sunset fire wag platty.
    ( i know it sounds bad) but he was named because he has a little black spot right above his mouth that looks like a mustache. The pet store lady mentioned it when I was checking out.

18. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

It's ethically sound because you spelled it wrong. I had to read the whole story to know what you were talking about. Lol! :D

19. DaliKalak

DaliKalak Well-Known Member

Sometimes, pets name themselves. :)
    Jomo, who came from the pet store I work at, was a favorite lizard of all the coworkers. For some reason they called him Montana, and then Joe Montana, so when I bought him I renamed him Jomo as sort of a reminder of his old name.

I, too, name pets on their personalities, usually after things from video games, comic books, shows, or mythology.
    My old African dwarf frogs were named Tolansky, after an X-man, and Starscream, from Transformers.

20. DaliKalak

DaliKalak Well-Known Member

By the way, it's spelled Cthulhu, Swimmer522. :)