This Disappears When Logged In

How Do You Clean It?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Maaso, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I change my substrate almost monthly. Thats probably too often some people say...but it starts to smell so I change it.

I've seen that some of you make your own enclosures, which I would love to do. But you glue substrate to the walls, and bond it permanently. Just wondering how you clean that...since it cant be changed. Or does it stay clean(er) since its not the floor?

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

the only one in my house that has substrate are the scorpions, I just clean the"leftovers" out of there weekly. Everyone one else is on papertowels or newspaper, makes cleaning easier and also makes daily check-ins a lot faster sice I don't have to go digging for any "presents"

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am finding it difficult to answer this question. The meaning of substrate is something different in SA. Are you talking about a mixture of peat, moss and vermicelli? Also what do you keep in there and is it humid?

My tarantulas are on the above substrate. Some of them require very high humidity and that causes a fungus to grow inside the substrate. I remove the substrate of those t's as soon as I see the fungus. I just leave the others and only take out the parts that needs to be cleaned.

Substrate against walls does not make sense to me until I know what this substrate is.;)

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

substrate is just meaning a bedding of some sort. Normally a loose bedding such as an aspin wood shaving substrate or cocofiber or something like that but it can also mean paper towels or tiles to cover the floor.

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I have an iguana, in her cage I don't have anything on the floor just the plastic cardboard stuff called coroplast and she goes to the bathroom in her water litter box. I clean that out every day with water and vinegar and then once and a while scrub it really well with bleach and water and rinse until no bleach is left.

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I think they are talking about those made enclosures that like liz and Shell have for their frogs and gecko??
    Where they glue on sticks and little jars/cups and moss or something that looks real.lol
    Maybe I should drink more coffee,lol its WAY early and I don't make any sense LOL:p

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I get it the greatstuff enclosures right?

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Yeah. That's what I thought he/she meant. :)

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I believe when they silicone the eco earth to the greatstuff they are making a self sustaining eco system and it basically cleans itself.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You don't. My frogs usually "go" on leaves. And if they do go on the wall, I just rinse off. I have beneficial bugs in the bottom of my enclosure, as well as live plants, which help with a natural cleaning cycle.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

So I wasn't entirely wrong *wipes the sweat from brow*;)

12. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Yeah, thats exactly what I was talking about. You just keep the himidity up, and keep real plants in..and some bugs? And they keep it naturally clean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.