This Disappears When Logged In

How 'bout It

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by MadDog, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I am doing some research for a snake to get and was wondering what colubrid got to be a hefty size. I am considering a pine snake because I think they are pretty and love their personality:mad: LOL Also they get to be a good size and are kinda thick too. Hope I make sense. Thanks for the help. What is the largest colubrid on the market? I have tried to find out myself, but this is a large family of snakes (OVER 2000 species) so it's kind of hard to single out one particular snake. One last thing is I live in Georgia so I can't own an Indigo snake.:( They are by far my favorites.

2. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

sounds good to me...why can't you get an indigo snake

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

As far as I know they are protected in Georgia.

4. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yep, just checked and they are. So are a few species of pine snake, but not the one I might be getting. The black pine snake.

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I think pine snakes are safe

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just about the largest North American colubrid is the bullsnake. They have been known to hit 8 ft. And they get a decent girth to them.
    They also can put on quite an entertaining show!

7. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Are the Indigo's protected from collection from the wild, or is it illegal to own one in the state? If the snake is imported from another state, and not collected in GA, is there any reason you can not have it? You will have the documentation to say that it was not collected, but acquired from another source. Do the rules/reg's/laws state any alternatives?

I used to walk around town with a 6 foot Indigo when I was a kid. Scared everyone! You should have seen the Police back off from the station counter when I walked in to show them!!:eek::D:D:p:cool: Bunch of babies!:p

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As a kid the indigo was THE snake to have. Even had ads for them in comic books! Unfortunately that very desirabilty has led to their demise. Due to over collection for the pet trade, and their habitat being destroyed and fragmented by development they are now scarce. Add to that their death by being gassed in burrows by rattlesnake hunters, during those "Rattlesnake Roundups", its a grim situation.
    They are listed Federally as a threatened species. You can still aquire them from breeders but, as I understand it, there is a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump thru!

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You should find everything you need to know about Indigo's here...

Indigos Forever

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Do pine and bull snakes get to be about the same size? And do gopher snakes hold up with them?

11. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

bull snakes get bigger

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Our zoo just started a captive propagation of Indigos, and our female is pregnant. They can be had, but like stated, lot of hoops, and LOTS of funding required. Last I knew, the price tag on one of those was close to $1,800.

13. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I think right now that is way too much hassel

14. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

The largest of North American colubrids is a toss up between the Black Rat Snake, the Pines and Bulls, and the Indigo. The Black Rat if "offically the largest" with a record length of 101", but the Indigos, Bulls, and Pines have been reported to get up to that size aswell. Gopher snakes and the other North American Rat Snake subspecies aren't push overs either and I've heard of them getting into the 7ft range also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.