This Disappears When Logged In

How Active is Your Ball Python?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by fiona, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiona

fiona Active Member

Hi everybody!

I really love looking at all your pictures of your snakes.

Recently we called into the pet shop. I noticed that their ball pythons were less active than for example their boas and other snakes. One in particular was asleep curled up for the whole time we were there. Another made a brief attempt to climb the glass.

So how active do you find your pet ball python? For how long at a time? I believe they are more active in the evenings, which can be an advantage if you are home then.

So just let me know how you find ball pythons in this way. I know they are slower moving than other species, which is an attraction for me. Although I would like to see any potential pet to move around though he he.

Thanks

Fiona

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I don't have a ball python but they are a little more laid back (and sometimes more lazy) than many snakes. :)

3. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

My ball python is mostly out in the evenings and the night. She is usually sleeping in the day because they are nocturnal.

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I'll say I very, very rarely see any of my Balls during the day every now and again one will be moving around but mostly after about 10 at night is when they start getting active. Though after a good meal you may not see them for a up to a week with older balls. When buying one ask to pick it up and see how it reacts. Make sure it's actively reacting to you and your actions. This is the best way to judge heath during the day light hours.

5. BallPython

BallPython Member

my ball python is both active during the day and at night more at night.... but he/she loves to roam around the cage during the day and bask and want attention. He/she is a weird one... :)

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

When my BP was younger, he was more active during the day. Now he only moves to change position or move to the warmer/cooler side of the tank.
    You said you liked photos, so here he is in his usual daytime position:
    [​IMG]

In the evenings, though, he gets VERY VERY active. I've had to install cable loops in the ceiling of the terrarium so he can climb up there without falling.

[​IMG]

I usually take him out for a while in the evenings and put him on the sofa.

[​IMG]

From there, he usually crosses the living room and dining room or goes into the kitchen. I keep an eye on him so he doesn't go behind the fridge or somewhere else he shouldn't be, but mostly I let him wander; it keeps him from getting fat. When I put him back, he climbs up the glass door almost begging to be let out again! It breaks my heart; I'm so glad he can't whimper like a dog.

7. fiona

fiona Active Member

Thanks for the replies!

Wow your snake loves climbing and exploring blackjack! Thanks for sharing those great pictures. So how long at a time do you let him out for an explore then? As you say it is good to have them stretch out and exercise. It looks like your efforts have paid off, he looks nice and strong.

Good idea Titus, to see how the snake would react to you and the surroundings.

Fiona x

8. snakesRkewl

snakesRkewl Elite Member

My girl loves it outside in the grass, then it's off to the bath. She doesn't hold still for pictures for very long, HaHa.
    Clicky Clicky

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. BlackJack

Thanks! Yes, Monty loves to climb but he doesn't have the body of our GTPs and I got really tired of hearing him go "thump" all evening, so I made the cable loops. He quickly figured out how useful they are and uses them. This way he gets more exercise inside his terrarium too. But I like to let him out in the evenings.
    In summer he stays out for up to an hour, or however long I'm in the living room and can keep an eye on him.
    In the winter, the tile floors are too cold and I worry about him cooling down too much, so I only keep him out for about 15-30 minutes.

10. fiona

fiona Active Member

Thanks for these new replies!

Great to see your snake enjoying herself outside snakesRkewl! So I would imagine you would have to be careful your snake doesn't get mites from being outside, hence the bath. So you take her to your bath in the bathroom then?

Thanks for the input on how long you let your snake out for BlackJack. Don't think he/she will be allowed in our kitchen as we have ceramic floor tiles, and there is a gap he/she could sqeeze into, or go behind appliances. I am already getting an eye for where I wouldn't allow a future snake to go, eg under the TV unit, as you cannot fit your hand under etc.

Both your snakes look like they enjoy the chance to explore different surroundings, and also nice for you to watch! :)

Thanks from Fiona

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ball pythons are pretty laid back and mellow.
    In fact my male almost ended up with the name "Rock",...
    That was about his activity level!

12. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

Our ball pythons have different levels of activity depending on their personalities. Mercury was never seen during the day, but was really active at night. Chakotay gets carried to the top of the big cage (it has a pvc climbing rack inside) by the others, but that's his big activity level. Helios likes to take off if out of the cage. Mercury lately is coming out during the day more (maybe because it's summer here?). Chakotay is afraid of being outside in the grass. The other two don't care. The ball python at the girls' college likes to go outside in the grass in the summer and watch their professor garden. When Quitti was alive he was all into "let's go places".

13. LEGEND

LEGEND Active Member

I very rarely see my ball python moving around in the tank. It almost always stays in its hiding spot and if it does come out of its spot, it curls up between the water dish and this fake tree I have in there as well. However if you pick it up, it gets really active which I love.

14. fiona

fiona Active Member

Thanks for this info!

So did you get an impression of the personality of your future snake, when you were in the pet shop then? In the way that I noticed that some were just still or the opposite? Did you find that it related to how you find your snake at home?

Thanks from Fiona

15. raechael

raechael Elite Member

My little buddy is lazy during the day unless I take him out...then he likes to explore....Although he doesn't like it when I lay on my bed and read my book while he is out and about...and he shows it too....He will crawl up and perch his chunky self on the top of my glasses so they slide down my nose and he covers my eyes and he wont move until I put my book down....otherwise at night he is exploring more and more...almost like he is trying to find out a way to escape....lol. He is lots of fun! I definitely recommend getting one!

16. BlackJack

When I took Monty out at the petstore, he was just really calm and mellow but moved around slowly in an interested way. He stuck out his tongue and explored a bit, but didn't seem freaked out or try to get away.
    That's the way he's always been with handling. He's never even tried to bite anyone ever!
    He's a real sweetie.

17. fiona

fiona Active Member

Thanks for these replies! You guys certainly inspire me to get a ball python soon. :)
    Fiona

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.