This Disappears When Logged In

Housing Turtles Together

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Tanner McBee, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Tanner McBee

Tanner McBee Member

I am getting a red eared spider, Mississippi map turtle and a spiny soft shell turtle, all babies. Can I have them in the same tank? It is a 20 gallon, I plan on having them in there till they are bigger. But my real question is it ok for these species of turtle to live together.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would say no, at least where the softshell is concerned. It wouldn't be a good thing to have tank mates climbing all over it. And they will. The map and slider should be fine, so long as the tank is large enough and they are similar in size. At least for a while, sliders tend to get larger then map turtles, so there could be an issue later.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I would not advise cohabiting turtles at all.

Depending on the genders of your turtles, there could be a very large size discrepancy between your map and RES when they are grown, and that will only make predation easier.

You may wish to look into stock tanks when you need more space for them - they are large, relatively cheap, and lightweight (when empty) and a great alternative to glass tanks in general.

Darkbird likes this.