This Disappears When Logged In

Housing Multiple Iguanas Together?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Rapid Lizard, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Hi there! So I have a young green iguana, housed in a 4x4x2 ft cage. I've had him since September. He's about 5 inches long SVL, and 18 STL. There's an iguana at a pet store near me about the same size, but they don't take very good care of it. I let my current iguana free-roam my room a lot, so he's not confined to just the cage. Would it be possible to try housing the two together? I could quarantine the new one in a cage I have that's almost 40 gallons for maybe a week. Once they got bigger, I would plan on letting them both free-roam my room. I've been reading about housing multiple iguanas together, and some people say its possible, but some don't recommend it. I think I would have 30 days to return the iguana if they didn't get along. Do you think it would be possible to try? Thanks!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In a word , no. Iguanas are highly territorial and may kill each other. And the size of your enclosure is not big enough for 1 adult iguana let alone 2.

And as for free roaming... The conditions in our homes are not conducive to a healthy lizard.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Just going to second everything merlin said. The only way 2 adults would ever tolerate each other would be for both to be at death's door due to improper care. And one ig really need a cage of about 6'x6'x6' or more to really have enough space. So yeah, a small room.

4. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Ok, I won't be doing that then! And I will be upgrading the cage as my iguana gets larger :)
    Thank you for your help!

5. Merlin

Do yourself and your iguana a favor. Pick up a copy of James Hatfields, Green Iguana, The Ultimate Owners Manual. The best up to date care guide out there.

Darkbird likes this.
  6. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Okay, will do! I use anapsid.org and the Green Iguana Society a lot, are those good resources too?

7. Merlin

GIS is not bad but anapsid's info tends to be a bit out of date. Add to that the fact that Kaplan tends to allow her medical conditions as well as personal politics to shade her opinions on things.

8. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Ok, thanks for the info! Sorry, I'm still a newbie with iguanas, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them!

TamJam likes this.
  9. Merlin

No worries! Iguanas are complicated critters to properly deal with. Research is good. But you have to be careful as there is a lot of REALLY bad info on them. There are still people telling you to feed animal protien, bugs, mice, etc.
    Even though such a diet will destroy their kidneys and kill them.

TamJam and Darkbird like this.
  10. jayduvall

jayduvall Member

Yeah the only way to ever house multiple iguanas is to have a massive aviary sized cage with multiple basking spot, food bowls ECT and enough space where each could have thier own space where they can get away if problems were to arise. That's if that is even enough room for one iguana cause as stated they are if not the most territorial reptile.