This Disappears When Logged In

Housing Multiple Corn Snakes in 1 Cage?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by SRT80, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SRT80

SRT80 Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been discussed and I'm not tryin' to start a argument or disagreement here. But here is my situation.

Back around 05 I bought 2 corn snakes. A male and female. I kept them together in the same cage. I don't have the exact dates, but it was in 08, I caught them mating. I had no clue this would happen as I thought you had to do certain things for this.

So after that, I ended up separating them. I did my research and put the nest box in the females tank and when it was time, she laid 11 eggs. She was probably too small at the time. So, I got the eggs out, incubated them, and July, 8th 08, I had 9 out of 11 hatch. I ended up keeping 2 of them.

Those 2 ended up both being females. They have been in the same cage since birth. They are both in a 20 gal. right now with several hides. I have been readin' that snakes are not social animals and don't like bein' kept with others. How do we really even know this?

Goin' back to the 2 "sisters", there are several hide rocks in the tank and they are always coiled up together in the same hide. I have never seen them be in a separate hide cave. Whether its on the warm or cold side. They always lay together.

I notice this with my 2 adult males as well in a 40 breeder. You would think if they didn't like the company, they wouldn't lay together. It's not like it's the only hide cave in the tank. I actually have 2 on each side of tank.

Reason I bring this up is, I am in the process of wantin' to build enclosures to house 2 corns per tank. I have 6 corns total. 2 males and 4 females. But now I'm thinkin' if I need to separate them, I might be better off building a rack system that will have 6 separate tanks to house each snake.

Thoughts?
    Steve

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Some people have kept more than one cornsnake together without problems while others have kept them together only to one day find that they no longer had two, only one very fat one! While not as prevalent as kingsnakes there are known to be cases of corns eating their cagemates.
    Snakes are not social creatures. we know this because of field studies in the wild as well as the observations of keepers.
    Snakes just don't hang out together. The only times you see them together is for breeding or temperature regualtion.
    The reason they coil up together is not companionship, but seeking the same temperature.
    I would keep them seperate. It solves a number of issues. If someone deficates or regurges, in a multiples setup you have no way of knowing which one did it.

3. SRT80

SRT80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. I understand what you're sayin'.

I like the thought of a rack system anyways now. Will be much easier to keep clean and won't take up as much space. I think I have seen the tubs that measure like 34"x16"x6.5" (not sure if exact) but should be fine for 1 adult corn right?

Steve

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Absolutely!