This Disappears When Logged In

Housing Compatibility

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by lizardpoo, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizardpoo

lizardpoo Elite Member

I do believe I've posted this question before, but what are some compatable animals/ cage mates for CWD's

Would African clawed frogs be a good choice(babies of course)

2. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

in my opinion, no herp should be housed with another animal unless it is of the same species and they are compatible. Different species have different needs and even if they come from the same place, there is always the chance that one's husbandry will be wrong and the other one will be getting great care. I'm sure it's been done successfully before but unless you are very experienced in reptiles, it's best left to the experts.

3. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I agree with Adam.Unless they have a huge space,like in a zoo,there's no way the two different species could avoid each other if they feel the need to do so.And this might cause too much stress for both.

4. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

Chinese water dragons can have a hard enough time getting along with each other (depending upon their sex, size of group, size of housing etc) let alone adding another species to the mix. I agree that each species should be house seperately so that each of their requirements can be met as closely as possible. In a mixed cage someone always loses out on their exact needs.

5. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

I'm with the others, I wouldn't ever recommend housing CWDs with anything (even each-other), though to be fair I HAVE done it successfully.

Here is my female CWD and one of the two basilisks (male and female) with whom she shares a cage:

[​IMG]

I attribute my success in doing this MOSTLY to starting them all out together as babies, the stress would be too high introducing them as adults. Also, if the CWD was a male I still don't think it would have worked as it would have dominated the bassies causing too much stress. As it is, she's bigger than the male bassie, they all completely ignore each other. To be fair at one point the female bassie did stop eating crickets, she'd eat other foods, I'm attributing this to stress. We seperated her, no change, placed her with the male but not the CWD, no change, put all three together in a much larger enclosure (went from a twenty long to a fourty breeder) and now they're all much happier.

But again, I really wouldn't recommend doing this, and I'm fully prepared for the likelihood that these animals WILL have to be seperated eventually. The only benefit I've seen from housing them together (other than saving on cages) is that all three animals are more tame, when they were all seperate they became a bit more skittish and territorial and refused to be handled, but having them in a collective has changed that, the animals come to the front of the cage when we come in the room, and while there is still a little mouth-gaping from the bassies when we handle them, they are far more tame.

Oh, and one final note: I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING THIS. A lot of conditions were in my favor, but that doesn't mean that the same conditions will work for everyone, and in all likelihood I'll probably have to eventually seperate them anyway.

6. ReptileMan27

ReptileMan27 Elite Member

Mixing species is never a good idea because it causes stress and a number of other health problems that will eventually lead to the death of one or both species.

7. sly puppy

sly puppy Member

The water dragon I am getting is currently housed with a striped bassie and also a green bassie.
    We were thinking of buying the dragon and the bassie but now i am not so sure. The shop owner has siad that it would be okay to house these together as they are from the same kind of environmnet etr, they are both sub juveniles and appear to be co habitating well .

How big is the viv you keep your dragon and bassie in ? in feet in possible.

Sly

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

LizardPoo was a nickname of mine growing up ;)

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Folks please look at the dates of posts.
    You are responding to one from September 2005!

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

ahhhhhh, return of the dead post!

11. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

"in my opinion, no herp should be housed with another animal unless it is of the same species and they are compatible"...

I guess by that logic my fire skink and male gold skink would have both died a horrible parasite infersted or war wounded death, eh? You'd be surprised what can work. However, you'd be surprised what can't work. For the water dragon thing, perhaps something that has a similar size, level of aggression and habitat? Not to point any fingers, but maybe a basalisk? That's off the top of my head so don't hold me to it. Do some browsing, maybe there's a type of large ameiva or a cuban knight anole? Once again, throwin names out there, check to see if they work. Maybe a large gecko species like a leachi or a tokay?

-sorry, had to get my word in.

12. sly puppy

sly puppy Member

old but not forgotten eh ?

yeah I realise this is an older post now that you point it out apologies...

new face same old questions though.

Sly

LOL

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No problem! Questions are good.
    I just didn't want anyone getting upset when they were not responded to by the poster.

14. maggieg

maggieg Active Member

We placed fish and Frogs (are these the little white clawed frogs you are referring to?) in the tank with ours, they have a huge cage and full fish tank of water in the bottom of the tank and swim freely, they have caught and ate anything placed in the cage with them. I wouldn't place your frogs in with them, they will try and attack them. They loved chasing them though and went nuts in the water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.