This Disappears When Logged In

Hot Tub Shenanigans!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by purplemuffin, Apr 11, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

:D Today was rather hilarious and interesting for my boyfriend's family. They've had a hot tub in their house for years that has gone unused--and of course despite having a lid on it, critters manage to get in somehow. They usually keep it drained, but we've been having so many storms lately that they haven't been keeping up with it in a while.

Nathan's little sister was outside when she heard chirping coming from the hottub! She thought oh, no! Poor frog must have gotten trapped inside because he was drawn to the moisture. :-" Apparently frogs HAD gotten inside..Frogs, not frog. Seems they can come and go somehow, she said some were hopping around on leaves that were floating in there, so I guess they use that to get out.

But anyway, apparently the tub became a very popular 'date' spot for the frogs, as there were like a hundred tadpoles/froglets all living in the tub and eating mosquito larva like it was any other pond. Out behind the tub is the very wild backyard the family has where they seem to go out and live later in life.

I just thought I'd share, I sort of thought it was hilarious and bizarre. The hot tub has become part of the frog's life cycle lol!

2. kdalecubano

kdalecubano Active Member

i wish a hot tub could be put into my life cycle! i sure need it! :)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great story! LOL
    I couldn't imagine families of frogs living in my hot tub. Well at least someone was putting the hot tub to use, maybe not its intended use but came in handy with the local frogs!
    Those crazy frogs, sounds like they are having a ball, I know I love mine.

4. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Hot Tub Frog Machine!! hehe... :D

Maybe they can plant some water plants in there too?!?!

5. mld

Around here hot tubs are around $15,000, so that is one expensive pond! LOL

6. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

seems you just got some more pets haha! and they were free and dont have to do anywork :p ahah funny story

7. purplemuffin

Oh yeah, their yard is full of tons of free 'pets' hahah! Anoles are everywhere, there are little salamanders and house geckos around, and little tiny brown snakes that I always thought were garters but now I'm not sure what they are? Little tiny patternless tan/brown snakes with a white or green tummy!

They keep the bug population under control ;)

8. mld

Sounds like paradise!:x

9. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

Those little brown snakes are commonly known as grass snake but are actually Rough Earth Snakes. Look them up. I've played with those things all of my life and didn't know squat about them till about 6wks ago.

10. purplemuffin

[​IMG]

Check out this little baby!! :) Found in the tub earlier! I'm not sure, is it an American Bullfrog?

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Hahaha I have no idea but he IS TOO CUTE! :)

12. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I second this! Super cute! :D

13. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

lol, too funny! And that little one is adorable! I love frogs and toads :D

14. mld

That is one little cutie pie!
    So tiny!

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Maybe I should put a disused hot tub in my backyard just to attract frogs (because I need them to feed my snakes.) If they grow up in an environment I control (kind-of) at least, I know they would be free ot pesticides in the water.

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Oh my god so cute!!!!!

17. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

No. I've got my fingers in my ears and lalalalala ing.