This Disappears When Logged In

Hot Colubrids

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by bwebb, Nov 23, 2012.

1. bwebb

bwebb New Member

I have a couple rear fanged colubrids... a false water cobra and a mangrove snake (Boiga dendrophila). Which is the hottest of all the non-lethal rear fanged? just curious....

2. justor

justor Elite Member

I'm not sure which is THE most venomous rear-fanged snake, but the Boomslang is supposed to be pretty potent and can be fatal to humans. Mangrove snakes are pretty potent as well, but their bites are not fatal.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Having bwen bitten by a mangrove snake, I have to weigh in on this. Sorry I am so late. There is some speculation among the scientific community,that all colubrids are to some point mildly venomous, as are most lizards they THINK. I can not say which is the hottest non-lethal rear fanged, but I can say it is definitively NOT the mangrove snake. I was bitten and hardly had any swelling. Of course, being rear fanged, they are loathe to envenomate because they can not deliver venom unless they are allowed to chew on the prey/victim. Method of delivery is grooved rear teeth that allows the vemon to run into the bite itself- not injected like an actual venomous snake. You probably already knew that...but just wanted to make certain. Hopefully, one day a study one colubrid venom will reveal the strength of each snake's venom-until then one can only speculate.