This Disappears When Logged In

Horned Toad!!!

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by grim, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grim

grim Elite Member

yes i finally found one and its adorable lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Awwwwesome Grim....I have always wanted to see one of those in person,,,congrats on the fantastic find.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Awesome...apparently there are pygmy horned toads here in washington...I have yet to find one but i also have yet to look...who wants to organize a search party?

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Awesome find Grim!! Hes adorable :D

5. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I will assume you released the animal after the pictures?

Good looking animal, I know of a few "communities" we use to study just south of W. Falls, as well as several more up in Oklahoma. It's a shame they are becoming rare..

6. grim

grim Elite Member

i caught him at dusk so i'll be releasing him tomorrow during the day, i have a problem with releasing herps at night, it gets pretty cool here during the night and thats when the coyotes and other preds come out. It is a shame they are becoming rare, because its a really pretty herp

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Grim this is something you might be interested in.

Where are Horned Lizards in Texas? A Current Distribution Based on Citizen Scientist Monitoring.
    Linam, Lee Ann J.

Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, 200 Hoots Holler Rd., Wimberley, TX 78676. lalinam@wimberley-tx.com

In 1997 Texas Parks and Wildlife Department launched the Texas Horned Lizard Watch, relying on two premises: Texas citizens are interested in the status of the Texas horned lizard (Phrynosoma cornutum), and these same citizens are capable of gathering scientifically significant data regarding its status. The program, one of many “citizen science” programs now emerging in Texas and elsewhere, offers participants a choice of participating at several levels representing varying degrees of complexity and scientific rigor. Since its inception, over 170 volunteers have returned species and habitat data from over 250 total locations in 157 counties, while less detailed sighting data has been accumulated from 201 of Texas’ 254 counties. Results to date have helped to refine our understanding of Texas horned lizard distribution, showing widespread occurrence in West and South Texas; reduced occurrence in Central Texas, North Texas and the Lower Rio Grande Valley; and very rare occurrence in Southeast Texas and the upper coastal counties. Anecdotal accounts identify the 1970s as the median period of horned lizard decline; however, at least 150 counties have reported sightings of Texas horned lizards since 2000. Statistical comparisons (chi-square) of volunteer data have shown that presence of the Texas Horned Lizard is related to presence of harvester ant species (Pogonomyrmex) and absence of the red imported fire ant (Solenopsis invicta). Data to date have failed to detect a relationship between horned lizard presence and land use, habitat type, or soil type. As additional years of data accumulate, it is hoped that this program may track trends in horned lizard populations, as well as the variables that affect the abundance and conservation of this popular species.

8. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I have a little ceramic horned lizard that my father-in-law gave me, but the real one is even cuter! Love the stripe down its back!

9. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Great find!

10. grim

grim Elite Member

thats interesting especially about the harvester ant species and fire ants(we don't have fire ants here yay!) Should i send the location of where i found this little guy to that email address? I'm hoping that i can find more of these guys around here, cuz they're cool little lizards.

11. Merlin

I would simply email the lady, explain that you have found one and ask her what sort of info they would like to have.

12. KrokadilyanGuy3

I would so the same.

Up from where I am, Horns seemed to favor Clay-Sandy clay soils more than just the sand and dirt areas. We also have an aray of Harvester ant populations, only problem is the ants like to mound along the sides of clay type back roads.. I have also found 15 individuals on a mile stretch of train tracks that are in one of my 'horned' areas. They're interesting.

Get some wild shots.

13. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

I'd say it might be a good idea to tell them about it, they may be interested.

"Awesome...apparently there are pygmy horned toads here in washington...I have yet to find one but i also have yet to look...who wants to organize a search party?"

-We have them in Alberta, which is just nother of Montana...which is near washington. In fact, Phrynosoma (horned toads) are our ONLY lizard...ugh...and it's only in the southeast corner, which is a full SEVEN HOURS away from where I live, driving at 110 KPH, which is highway speeds.

See any blood from it's eyes yet? They do have an ability to shoot blood from their eyes at you...sounds kinda wacky, if you don't believe me, look it up!

14. KrokadilyanGuy3

I've kept and bred Texas, roundtails and regal's (3 of the eight known to quirt blood) and have never witnessed it. Guess I'm not all that scary..

Anyway, here is a forum I kept at hand during my times breeding and studying Horneds in my areas. Maybe you can print off several sheets and keep them handy.

[​IMG]

15. grim

grim Elite Member

nope no blood though i was kinda expecting that when i picked it up... ive heard they stress out easily so i didn't play with him too much. I'm having a problem releasing it though , because i caught him last night and it was too cold to release, and its been raining all day today and its quite cool out right now. Hopefully tomorrow will be sunny so i can let him go when i get home from school. if it stops raining should i try to find some ants for him till tomorrow?

16. Merlin

I would release him now prefereably at the spot where you found him. If you hadn't picked him up he would still be out in the weather.
    And by keeping him confined you are most likely violating the law.

17. grim

grim Elite Member

Shh i dont wanna get in trouble lol. I'm just worried the cold will make him sluggish and he'll get eaten, but im definatley releasing him in the same spot i found him... the same twelve in patch of grass for that matter.

18. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i think ya finding excuses to keep hima little longer...haha ;)

rain rain go away...come back another day.....

19. grim

grim Elite Member

im not keeping him don't worry he's getting released tomorrow like i planned. this horny toad really is a jewel though, like i said before, i hope theres more

20. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

great find. they're so cool looking. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.