This Disappears When Logged In

Horn Worm Breeding

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Mledwards123, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Mledwards123

Mledwards123 Elite Member

Ok so I've got the food for the cats. (caterpillar) but now how about the hawk moths what do I feed them?

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I don't believe they eat in the adult stage. They reproduce and die after a few days. Kind of interesting.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Hmm I may be at least partly wrong. Looks like its species dependant. Some feed and some do not in the adult stage. I'm not sure what species is offered in the pet trade.

4. Mledwards123

Ok thank you. If they do eat what would it be?

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They don't eat but you can offer same thing the cats eat if you wish.

6. Mledwards123

Ok thank you

7. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Just remember, no tomato plants... Are yours tobacco hornworms? That's what Greatlakeshornworm.com sells. I'm just curious because I was also considering breeding them in the future.

8. Mledwards123

I read that it was Ok to feed the hawk moths tomato plants or put one in there for them to lay eggs because it won't effect the eggs and Im gonna feed caterpillars the food I ordered from great lakes

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You can also use pepper plants if you want to have a love plant that the hatched worm can eat.

10. Mledwards123

Love plant?.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Live plant...sorry autocorrected it.

12. Mledwards123

Haha ok. And also is it true that feeding the cats stuff like bell pepper can cause the moth form to change in color

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I don't know. I know the cats change color. There are green ones, yellowish ones, and teal colored ones but I don't know if it changes the moths color. This sounds like you need to experiment!

14. DragonsKeepers

You can have a tomato plant outside of the enclosure for smell, but not inside. You will probably not find every last egg that is laid, so you don't want to take the chance of the worms eating it.

15. Mledwards123

The tomato plant will be in a cage with moths not cats

16. Mledwards123

Is this how the look when they are ready to burrow and change? And is that the dorsal heart

Attached Files:

17. Pieks

Pieks Member

I was watching youtube vids on breeding hornworms and saw a few dif people use a 5 part water and 1 part sugar ratio (boiled) for the moths in a hummingbird feeder.. is that more of a feed just because they wanted to instead of needing to?

18. Mledwards123

I have no clue haha like it said I'm new to this

19. DragonsKeepers

I'm talking about the breeding moths laying eggs - everything I've read said that they will lay eggs on the tomato plant if possible. I'm just saying that eggs will be laid there - eggs that have baby cats in them...

20. Mledwards123

I read that I should remove the eggs from the leafs. And that the tomato plants won't effect the eggs or my beardie because the cats won't actually eat any of the plant